Rubicon Thoughts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rubicon Thoughts?

Having searched the forum, I didn't really see any discussion on the new Jeep Rubicon (aside from game reverences and vs. arguments).

I was wondering what the general consesus is on the Rubicon. I know I hear a lot of "Real Jeeps are built, not bought!" type stuff, but seeing as how I won't be able to buy my Jeep until sometime on 2003, I am leaning towards the Rubicon. 31' tires, twin 44s, sock sliders, etc. It seems to cover a lot of the stuff I would have had to get aftermarket anyway.

What do you guys think of it? Pros? Cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rubicon Thoughts?

i dont know if it will be like every one is making it out to be, but if it is i wish i would have held off on buying.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 04:14 PM
JeepSage77

Some people won't be satisfied with it regardless of how tits it actually is. None of the major car manufactures will ever tool up to build an ORV that you can slap a set of 38's on it and go terrorize Moab. Those Jeeps will always be "built, not bought."
However, like you said, the Rubicon has many parts that you will have to get from donor vehicles and aftermarket sources. But unlike a homebrew job, the Rubicon is engineered by dudes who do this for a living; so you get a vehicle where the systems are designed to work together.
Not only that, but a current TJ (with optional 44 rear) with a swapped in 44 front, lockers, and 33's probably has several thousand dollars invested. Yet, if the owner ever sells it, almost all the mods are losses because 1) People who want a TJ with a 44 front, lockers, etc generally want to do it themselves so they know its done right and with components that they want. 2) Modified vehicles are more prone to breakage than a pavement pounder. 3) You lose the money invested in labor. On the other hand, putting a Rubicon up for sale will not have those issues.
A lot of questions can't truthfully be answered until they are actually in production, and have been truly tested by guys not afraid to beat the heck out of them. Maybe the lockers turn out to be complete crap, the rumored D30 knuckles on the 44 housing are a major weakness, and yadda yadda yadda. So people would claim getting aftermarket stuff would be better.
I don't know if thats what you're getting at, but those are my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My only thoughts of this is....HOW MUCH? and when can I get one? really! if it's under 30K then I'll probably go for one. One just can not buy a new jeep, make these kinds of aftermarket upgrades and not be around the same price figures PLUS it's warrantied. The Jeeps are built not bought thing is a bunch of bullsh!t, I got a CJ-7 tore down in my garage that I haven't been able to wheel for a year because I want hardcore off-roadability, and you can bet your @ss I'm missing not being able to drive it real BAD! SO If I can buy a bad*ss Jeep that's ready to go right off the lot, you better believe I would (for the right price).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You guys forgot the 4:1 low range.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh man. I know I'm gonna get flack for this .... but

Is that good or bad?

I'm still trying to get a handle on the whole gear ratio thing. Trying to figure out what is a good medium between doing offroading and driving the freeway (approx. 2500 RPM)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 01:02 AM
Official Historian

Please tell me you don't drive on the freeway in low range, InkTank. That's the only time you would notice the 4:1 in the transfer case.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 02:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uh ... hadn't planned on it.

Although with some of these California pot holes.... I'm not so sure it would be a bad idea.

And just to get things straight, does the gearing ratio change when you shift? I was under the assumption that you find your optimal gear ratio for what you want it for and set the proper gears to set it that way. I was unaware that gear ratio could be changed without having to swap in a new ring and pinion.

Sorry, like I said in a previous post ... REAL newbie here.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 09:54 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Most of the time when we refer to gear ratio we are talking about the ring & pinion ratio. But the transmission and transfer case also have ratios which must be factored in. The nice thing being, you can change the ratio with the tranny's gears and lower them overall by shifting the transfer case into low.
If that didn't make sense, play with the numbers on some of these calculators and see how it effects your RPM, MPH, crawl ratio.....etc.<a target="_blank" href=http://www.dirtroad.com/gears.htm>http://www.dirtroad.com/gears.htm</a>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Wrangler Rubicon? I'll believe it when I can stroll into Teterboro Jeep and take one for a test drive. Until then, i think its a figment of someone's imagination. D/C would be inviting ALL KINDS of problems.

Granted, the stock TJ you can buy now is very capable out-of-the-box, but something thit more ground clearance, bigger tires, stronger axles only means the the yuppie who has never owned anything with a transfer case before can just get it farther onto the trail where he can break the rig (warranty issues), hurt/kill himself or others. Personally...like i said, I'll believe it when I test drive one...until then its like Yeti...many people will swear its out there....but I dont think so!

-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode