15x10 rims on TJ and front wheel bearing problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

15x10 rims on TJ and front wheel bearing problem?

I heard that installing a 15x10 rims on a TJ accelerates the wear on stock front wheel bearings because of the extra leverage it creates, does anybody know anything about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 15x10 rims on TJ and front wheel bearing problem?

I have had 15x10 wheels with 3.5" backspacing on my TJ since it was new. 60k miles so far no problems with bearings. The extra leverage is mainly caused by a taller tire. 33's or 35's don't seem to have too many problems.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, it will accelerate wear. HEre's why:

1. When Chrysler designed your TJ, they used rims with certain offset and backspace to clearance the calipers, steering components, and balance the load on the wheel bearings. When you put on a wider tire with a different offset, you are increasing the lever arm against the bearings, maikng them work harder, and failing sooner. Larger tires will exacerbate the problem.
2. The same holds true for steering components.
3. Think about a Dually pickup. The front wheels bulge out of the tire, right? Next time you see one, look inside. You'll see that the wheel is mounted to a cast hub that holds it to the axle. This configuration is necessary in order to keep 1 spare tire that fits all positions on the wheel, and the cast hub is necessary to position the line of force as close to the center of the wheel bearings as possible.
4. Wheel bearings are tapered roller bearings. They are the most cost effective and one of the strongest ways to deal with both radial and axial loads. By changing the offset to a good degree, you apply the force on the bearings from a different angle, also accelerating wear.
5. Why do you want 10" wheels? What size tire are you going to run on that? I'd call that an awfully wide rim for any tire less than 12.5" wide.

hope I shed some light for ya here.
-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Remy, thank you very much for this explanation. I am installing 33" 12.50 MTRs, I was gonna go with 15x8 AR767 Wheels with 4" backspacing, but I got a friend who is selling his 15x10 wheels for a good price, I was just wondering if it was worth while. I kinda of knew that since he was on his second set of wheel bearing in only one year of running the 15x10. I thought this failure might be a coincidence and I wanted to make sure that the rims were the problem. Thanks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i konw everone says they have a friend of a friend that they never really saw that did the same thing you want to do. i know alot of jeepers that run 10" rims heck even i do and acopule of them that run 12". anyway yes they will wear your wheel bearings down sooner!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

This is true. Not because of the width of the rim, but the off-set. Not only does it overstress the wheel bearings, lug nuts, and brakes, but it also is the main reason for "death wobble". If you draw an imaginary line through both of your ball joints and down through your tire, that line should be 1 inch below the center of the tire. (looking from the front) The distance between this line and the center of your tire (on the road serface) is called "scrub radius". A general rule of thumb is no more than 1 inch scrub. This site explains it, but does a poor job of explaining the effects (other than squirm), and dosn't mention death wobble.

http://aligncraft.com/terms/terms.html#Scrub Radius
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One other thing....we CJ guys dont care about wheel bearings...hell we can replace them in 20 minutes for $20. You TJ guys have the new style bearing hub assembly...which i KNOW is probably well over $100/side....So I'd be more gentle on TJ wheelbearings....

-remy
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 05:11 PM
Old Hand

How do you know when your bearings have gone bad?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well...theres a few different ways to tell.

1.(what I do) Jack up the vehicle by the axle...and spin the tire...make sure there are no rough spots or grinding noises....remove the brake caliper for most accurate results.
2. Again, lift vehicle. Grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to move or wiggle it. There should be no play. If there is, be shire its not steering joints, ball joints, or anything other than wheel bearings.
3. An extreme case....the bearing will lock up. You dont want this. Perform the above steps regularly. Bearings that weld themselves together are NO PICNIC to get out/off without ruining things.

Thanks about it for todays lesson...for homework......lol

-remy
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Once agian I DRIVE A TJ and have had 10" rims with 33" tires on it for over 60,000 miles and NEVER had a problem. And this jeep has seen a lot of abuse on and off road. Also, wider rims DO NOT cause death wobble, that is a totally different problem alltogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode