Currie Hi Pinion and TF727 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:48 AM
thejunker

Currie Hi Pinion and TF727

I think I may have a problem with my plans. I am planning to get a couple Currie High-Pinion 9"'s for my CJ-7. I also want to swap in a TF727 Auto Tranny. Now I have read that you will need about 4" of lift to swap this tranny in, to avoid the front driveshaft hitting the pan. Fine. I have the jeep lifted about 4.5" right now.

Here's where I think the problem lies, but correct me if I am wrong.

With the new axles, my driveshaft angle will be reduced, almost to the point of where the driveshaft was be3fore it was lifted. Does this mean that essentially, I cannot run the 727 without an additional 4" of lift, making a total of 8.5".... Now of course, if that is true, I will have to rethink the axles or the tranny, because I really do not need or want 8.5" of lift.

Anyone have any opinions on what other tranny will be a good swap (read inexpensive, I am blowing a lot of money on axles)? Gonna stick with the 258, and will be running 35" tires with 4.56 gears, D300, so what would you suggest for a transmission. I am sorta partial to slushbox's, but that is not set in stone.

Thanks,

pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Official Historian

Re: Currie Hi Pinion and TF727

If you want to spend a little more, get the dana 300 flip kit and order your front axle with the diff on the drivers side. Then you won't have to worry about the 727 clearance.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:32 AM
thejunker

Ahh! That is a good idea, I had not thought of that. Of course, the kits I have seen are pretty expensive, running about $700. Any drawbacks to doing this?

Still would like some other options regarding different trannies, as $700 will easily cover the cost of a tranny and rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 08:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Why not just run a tf999 that was stock in the later cj's. I have run mine hard and gave it a few drinks of water and it still keeps going and going. If you plan on doing any kind of water crossing just make sure you have the vent relocated.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'd stay away from the currie high pinion axles. they utilize the 8.8 high pinion ring gear and they are known to be weak when used in the rear. you have been warned. if they were so great why would currie not run one in thier fire ant?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 04:52 PM
thejunker

I have heard nothing but praise on their axles. Anyone out there know of one to break? I will stay away if that is the case, but I picked them cuz I had read many posts here how though they were expensive, they were very durable axles.

Any thoughts?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

currie does build some nice stuff. it is just the 8.8 high pinion gears they use for their high pinion 9" is know to be weak and break when used hard in the rear. if you want to run a 9" in the rear get the standard rotation diff. it'll be cheaper and stronger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode