STARTER/SLOW CRANKING, SWITCH TO A MINI HIGH TORQ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:28 AM
Renegade_Kid

STARTER/SLOW CRANKING, SWITCH TO A MINI HIGH TORQ?

After my 258 heats up in the dead of summer, restarting the powertrain can be a chore. The typical slow cranking syndrome. I've had a couple starters in this vehicle (76 Cj-5), and the same problem seems to resurface. Is this an indication that the starter needs rebuilding or a replacement? Also, does anybody run the mean green or mini high torque starters in their 258 to compensate for this problem?

Thanks to all in advance.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: STARTER/SLOW CRANKING, SWITCH TO A MINI HIGH TORQ?

Are you getting the full amount of power possible to the starter? (good solenoid, good grounding, large gauge wiring)
Is your battery fully charged and of adequate size?

Have you tried making a heat shield? (OK, so there will be heat soak that will overwhelm this, but it will help.)

If all of these things are properly sorted out, then pull the starter and have it tested.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Old Hand

A good frien of mine had the same problem on an 82 CJ with the 6-cyl. He swapped to a Powermaster starter (sort of like the the Mean Green) and his problem went away.

It sounds like heat soak - the powermaster starter rotated the solenoid away from the motor and the whole assmebly is smaller keeping it away from the motor.

You might try some some heat shield wrap on the starter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:46 AM

Its not just the starter,..your battery is getting hot and less efficient along with your alternator and regulator.
Do anything possible to allow some of the underhood heat to escape durring the summer months. Remove your fender skirts , route some venting or even a hood scoop.
I was amazed at how much better my alternator, regulator, starter and batteries performed, once I allowed some of the heat to escape. Even though the engine was not running hot, I had the engine compartment so well sealed up, that the under hood temps, were sky high, and it was roasting the electronics.
Now that I keep it well ventilated, and cool as a cucumber, I have no problems.
Also run some 2 gauge welding wire to your starter system and use a 200 amp remote solonoid, and you will see a huge improvement in your starters turning power.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 06:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This slow-crank-when-hot has plagued vehicles since electric starters and tight engine compartments first met. You think it's bad now.....imagine a 1955 Ferd with a 6V starter[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] on a real hot day.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If your Jeep is suffering from "heat soak" you can use a starter wrap from SUMMIT and you can also wrap the exhaust header pipe.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As H8 pointed out, AIR ESCAPE is a big problem when the underhood machinery is densely packed. We have SO MUCH stuff under there nowadays, the heat cannot get out.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Here is what to do if you really want to sweep out all the corners. (1) make a direct heavy ground cable for the starter....go right to the mounting bolt. (2) Overhaul the starter, getting it perfect in every way.......rotor surfaces, stator windings, EVERYTHING perfect. (3) Wrap the starter. (4) Wrap the exhaust header. (5) Run a load test on the battery. (6) Use H8's suggestion and install a heavier rated solenoid.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I rented a backhoe last year and the guy who brought it out said: "You'll have to let it run during lunch cause it won't start hot." Oh YEAH, I thought....we'll see about that. At lunchtime I went to the local NAPA Auto parts and got a 40" heavy (-) cable and installed it from the battery to the starter bolt with a star washer under the nut. That rig BLASTED to a start after lunch, and every time thereafter.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] END OF PROBLEM![img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 06:13 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The starter is not the problem. OK, maybe it is to a small degree, go check and see how tight it is, then tighten it down because it's loose. The heating/cooling aforementioned causes the bolts to loosen over time, which will not help the cranking.

I have seen this before a bunch with the 258, and everyone attributes it to the starter, when the starter has been fine.

The problem here is timing and the vacuum advance on the distributor. I'm willing to bet the advance line is plugged or leaking, causing it to not work properly, and the timing is also out a few degrees. If you take it to someone who isn't used to working on it, they replace the starter, then when that doesn't cure it they play with the timing to get it to start a little easier, unknowingly adding to the problem.

So rather than spending a few hundred $$$ on a new starter, check out (I'd just replace them) the lines and re-time it. Good time to buy a timing gun if you don't have one, they're awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode