33's or 35's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

33\'s or 35\'s?

I want to lift my 88' Wrangler and would like some feedback on whether to go with 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 super swamper ssr's. I've been looking at Pro comps 5" coil lift or Skyjacker's Rock ready monolinear 6" lift and also skyjacker's 4" leaf lift. I plan on mounting the tires on 15x10 Weld SSII. I've got a 6cyl 258 with Mopar fuel injection. Do I need to regear? Fender trim? Body lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:15 AM

Re: 33\'s or 35\'s?

You wont clear the 35s with any of those lift by them selves. If you add a 1" body to the 6" you should clear them. A 4 inch lift is not enough for 33s. Go with the coil 5" of the sky jacker 6" and 33's. With 35s you are going to need a butt load of upgrades including suspesion lift, body lift, re gear. Also how long do you think those axles of yours will last riding on 33s? What about 35s? Not long. Might be okay with 33s if you take it very very easy.

You could do some major fender trimming and run the 33s with the coils. That would be cool, wouldn't have to high of a center of grav.

Not to shoot you down, but what ever way you go, 33s or 35s, if you use the jeep how jeeps were ment to be used you are going to need new axles and gears. Do the math, Tires $650, Wheels $800, lift ~$1000, Axles $400, Gears + install $600 = at the least $3500

Just trying to let you know what you are getting into before you dump your savings into the lift, then relieze you just opened a can of worms. But hey If you get your jeep set up like that you would have one killer ride.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on. Especially if you decide on those procomp coils, I am wondering about those.

Later
Tony

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:16 AM

Thae anwser is always the biggest tire you can fit with the least lift. I would use the $$$$$$ to spring over and then trim with 35's. If you have a auto you might not need to regear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im trying to do the same combination. I have a 4 inch procomp spring (changing it over to coils) and just added a 2 inch body lift a little while ago. Ive been running on 33's with the same axles but will be switching to 4.10's off a 4 cyl if all goes as planned. In the future I hope to upgrade my axles and everything else.....but that comes with time
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I agree, I wouldn't waste the money on one of those pricey kits. I'd go SOA. If you're for some reason SET on buying a lift kit, don't touch the 6" moni kit from Skycrapper. It'll sag and you'll bend them to snot. It's not meant for heavy offroad use. I also agree you should upgrade your axles if you're going to go with bigger tires. You could probably get by for a whlie though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:52 AM

33 super swamper is a big heavy tire. lots of unsprung wieght. they are bigger then 33 inch BFGs. My BFG MT 33s are actually only 32 inches tall. The SSRs are 33.2. my opinion is that those 33 SSRs will twist up those stock axles like tooth pics.

I can tell you how many stories I've read that start with " I just installed swampers " and ends with "broken axle"

Check it out, but I've heard that the procomp coil spring kit is only guaranteed upto 33" tires and only fits with the stock axles. ( I still think that thease new coil kits are cool)

I run the Rubicon express 4.5 extreme lift for my YJ. Very nice lift. It's huge. And fits 33" at full flex with stock bump stops. It could easily fit 35s but I would need to limit the articulation with taller bump stops.

If I was going with 35" swampers, there is only one option. SOA with some beefy axles.In the long run it would be the least expensive.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with the majority of them ...... spring over is the way to go but I got this procomp coil kit for free so I might as well put it in.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a BDS 3 1/2" and I run 33" BFG MTwith a 1.25" body lift
No rubbing.
Just avoid the extra work and money required torun 35" Swampers.- The benefits dont outweight the cons unless you are going to be running on deep mud every single time.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:44 PM

I agreee spring over on dana 44's would be the way to go. I think jamgood runs 35" bfg's sprung over of d44's with a 1" body lift and tj flares (allow you to cut the body). Definetally upgrade your axles while you are at it and since you will probably need new gears do it all at once.

BarrelRoll
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, If I'm willing to change the axles and regear, what would you recommend as a lift in order to run 35's?
Can you recommend some good axles and gears?
What do you think about front and rear ARB Air Lockers?
By the way, I'm powered by a 6cyl.258 in the process of upgrading to the Mopar FI and 4.0 head conversion.
Appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode