33's or 35's? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: 33\'s or 35\'s?

Not sure if you didn't read the posts or what, but SOA!!!! It's the most economical way to fit 35" tires, atleast in my opinion. As for axles, go with a set of D44's out of a Grand Wagoneer. Gears, I'd go with 4.56's. And as far as lockers, if you can afford ARB's, go for it!! If not, get a set of Detroits. And if that's too much, get some Lock Rights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Addict

I'm with them. SOA with 35's+. And skip the SSR's. Go big and go SX's or go home.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running the ProComp coils with a 1" body lift on my 94 YJ. I have no problems with 35s and 4.56 gears.

Probably if I had to do it again, I would spring over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I could use some help on changing my axles. I'm not sure which "part" will get twisted by having bigger tires. Could you break it down in laymans terms? Maybe starting from the driveshaft back. Am I replacing parts internally or the whole axle?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK...I'll help you....
Your front Dana 30 has a small ring gear and pinion, as well as bearings. The axle ujoints are tiny. 35's will eat this axle alive if you are aware your Jeep has a gas pedal.
Your rear axle, the Dana 35c, is great with stock tires, but it ENDS there. It uses c-clips to retain the axleshaft...so if you break a shaft, or this clip, you are riding a trailer or a flatbed all the way home. The rig gear is again small and weak, and the housing isnt known for its durability. Again, 35's will eat this axle alive as well.

You MIGHT be able to do the 33's on them, but forget about lockers, and go EASY on the gas pedal.

Essentially, if you want to actually USE your jeep, not just drive up and down main street, and want to run tires larger than 31s, and/or traction devices...you are going to need to replace your axles. Yes, some guys will say that you can "upgrade" the ones you have....but...at the end of the day, its still a D35C....and you'll spend as much or MORE to make it comparably strong to a D44 or a Ford 9", even an 8.8".

-remy
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey ktrowe, Im doing the same lift with the coil lift and went with a 2 inch body lift. Are you still using your stock axles?
post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 04:30 AM

if you have an 88 wrangler then you should have the D35 rear axle. it shouldn't have C clips. ( that info is actually some where on off-road.com) So that is one thing going for you. I'm running the D30, D35 axles. I'm planning to upgrade to Dana 44 front and rear. It's for peace of mind.

the D30/D35 axles are light duty stuff. Small tubes and small ring gear. they just were not designed to deal with a large load. ideally you would want a big axle, like out of a 3/4 ton truck. So, yes. total axle replacement.

I know two people first hard that broke their D35. My buddy Chris, he was carrying a bunch of coolers filed with beer and the D35 collapsed.
My buddy Doug was being a meathead (heavy with the throttle) and broke some teeth off his ring gear.

You could spend your money beefing up your axles. Like $350 bucks for a truss. And thicker axle shafts. $$ But that all adds up. With gears, a locker, truss, shafts. you have a lot of money tied up in something that is still of suspected durability.

This is just my opinion. And I'm not an SAE engineer. I'm just some goober with a jeep and a computer. I would recommend you invest some time using the search function and make up your own opinion. There is lots of good info on this board. In the end its your money and your the guy that is going to be talking the long walk if something breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode