T-98 vent location? leaking fluid... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T-98 vent location? leaking fluid...

My T-98 trans I swapped in pukes fluid from where the shifter goes into the top cover. So I was checking it out and I can not find a vent on it anywhere. Is there supposed to be a vent line coming off of it??? I did find that there is a plug threaded into the LR of the top cover, is that where it is supposed to be?

I think this trans is almost the same as a T-18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:09 AM

Re: T-98 vent location? leaking fluid...

On the T98, the vent is a small flapper valve on the back left corner, on the same level as the cover bolts. Since this area is prone to getting highly mud-caked, its venting qualities don't last too long.

Simple quick fix: the flapper valve is just pressed in, not screwed... therefore, it should be possible to coax it out by prying, then clean it out and replace it.

Permanent fix: On my T98, I already had the cover off while rebuilding, so this was a little more feasible. I popped out the flapper valve, threaded its hole, and then plugged it with a set screw. Then, on the rear center, drilled and tapped a hole for an air hose nipple. Then, run a hose from the new attatchment to some point high enough to keep water out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:18 AM
Bornjeeper1

Now, if we could just find that elusive back up switch!! Sorry, just kidding. I need to run a vent also.
fullygruntled, once you put the vent in the top cover, did you add anything such as a boot to the shifter to keep water out? I was just wondering. I am looking at doing something simular.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:47 AM

Funny you should mention that... I did add a backup switch and shift tower gasket as you mention.

The old D20 (the one I didn't use... both it and the T98 are from a '66 J-truck) had two switches, assumed for 4WD dash lights. They were just the right length and had contacts identical to the stubby T-150 backup switch. In the rear top cover, right where the reverse shifter rod would travel, I drilled and tapped for this switch. I had to grind off a little bit of the case lettering to get it to the proper depth, but other than that it was a simple operation. Reverse shift rod goes back, trips the switch, reverse lights go on.

For the shift tower, I used a ring of my wife's craft felt and impregnated it with grease, ringed it around the shifter and drew it down to the base, and then just fastened the cap tight... well, it WILL be tight once I put the whole contraption in the CJ. Makes a nice, simple gasket and doesn't impede shift performace (not that that's much of an issue on the wobbly T98 shifter).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:57 AM
Bornjeeper1

Thanks,
I will have to give that a shot. I was also looking at maybe using a CV boot for the shift tower. I need to do some fitting to check for tightness/sealing on the tower. You are right about the vague shifting of the t-98. My wife has to be retrained often on the search for 3rd gear. She finds reverse easy enough. The problem is that she usually finds it after shifting from second and the tranny grunts (grinds) in protest telling her to try it again. I love the thing. Drove it across the US a couple of times an the low 1st gear save my butt on an off camber section of trail in CO. Thanks for the info.

Bill
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I will be looking at that threaded plug this weekend. I wonder if I could put a vent line on at that location. I also wonder if that is where that flaper valve thing was at, I don't remember seeing one. I was always wondering if something was wrong with mine or I had overfilled it somehow. It has pushed out so much fluid out the shifter area ever since I installed it. I bet I have had plenty of water go inside as well. I found that screw down cap on the shifter was so loose, I am surprised it didn't fall off. I thought I was the only one who was grinding my rev gear every time I try to throw it into third. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kevin, do you have any pics you could post of your switch and boot ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 07:44 AM

Unfortunately, no, no pics... although over the next few weeks I'll be revving up completion (well, relatively) of my CJ and should probably get a few photos of the finer points of my ever-so-masterful work :P I'll make sure to post some of them at that time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode