PRE-OILING does it actually make a difference??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

PRE-OILING does it actually make a difference???

i saw something online ...a pre-luber....it raises the oil pressure in your motor via electric pump before the motor tries to start...

would this actually make a difference....i think it would but i was wondering if anyone had an expirience with em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:53 AM

Re: PRE-OILING does it actually make a difference???

I think it was TR who had the story of the 500,000 mile motor with no rebuilds on it..

does that answer your question?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:45 AM

Re: PRE-OILING does it actually make a difference?

You can also use an pressurizing oil accumulator to prelube, which also works to lube the motor when the pump sucks air(when you get really steep).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Lemme put it this way. You would have to hold a gun to my head to make me light up my SB350 Chev-Lay V8 without first cranking it till the oil gauge showed pressure.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have a great starter and a good battery so I roll that sucker over till I see oil pressure then I crack the throttle and let it start.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When we had the big Cats on our ranch in CA my Dad always preached to me that I was not to flip on the compression on the diesel engine until the oil pressure was up. We could roll them over with the cranking engine with the intake valves held open for as long as it took to see oil pressure. We never got less than 8,000 Hrs between overhauls.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] An oil accumulator is a GREAT IDEA....helps to balance out the pressure and prevents starvation in an off-camber moment as Wayne pointed out. An accumulator is just a metal tank with a bladder inside that acts like a surge chamber.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:48 AM

There are plenty of articles, some written by people who should know, that say that the huge majority of engine wear takes place in the first few seconds after starting.

Where did you see that device?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Way Outta Control

Above are answers from two Mechanical Engineers.. and in my book, those answers are good 'nuf for me... but being me I'm gonna throw in my two cents worth from a logical point of view that my dumb the argment down a little.

Have you ever honed a knife edge wet and dry? Which one got the edge sharper, faster?

Yep it was wet honing. This does two things, takes away heat, and helps to remove filings and work them away from the edge being sharpened.

It's the same way with a pre-luber. Without pre-lubing you've got metal on metal sliding past each other under remendous pressure. If you're lucky there is a residual film of oil between those parts. How long do you think that will last?

By pre-lubing there is a cushion of oil between bearing surfaces that sucks up heat, and moves any impurities to the filter to be contained.

Now in my book that's a good thing..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

CJ dave,

what good would letting it crank till oil pressure goes up? wouldnt you still be wearing out motor in the cranking process? i tihnk thats what prelubers are designed to avoid. the thing im talking about is a seperate motor that presurizes everything right before you crank the motor....kina like how your fuel pump on FI gives fuel before you crank...

sounds good though....the jeep im picking up...(hopefully this weekend)...has 73000 miles on it....so i want ti to last at least 150,000 more miles....so i am picking one of those up as soon as possible!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jim_lou

http://www.enginelube.com

looks easy enough to install and the benifits seem to rationalize the price. Im sure theres other companies that make things like this tooo..

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Way Outta Control

Jeepngreg, what CJDave's describing is a "poor man's Luber." Granted the engine is still rotating, but as long as it's not running on it's own there is a LOT less stress on the components than if the cylinders were live and firing. Wnen the engine spins up and not running, then the oil pump can fill the galleys and the bearing journals while the parts are under the least amount of load. It is true that if you could do this without rotating the engine then that would highly decrease wear further. Which is the reason for an accumulator or a pre-luber, decreasing start up wear and tear on components.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

aah....i understand now....that makes a lil more sense. to bad i will have FI or else i would do that too....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode