Air Hose From Diff?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Air Hose From Diff??

On top of the diff there is a spout that the vacuum hose hooks up to and on the top there is usually a check valve. Just wondering if it is fine just to have an open hose and nothing on the top?? This will allow the diff to get air and keep water out I believe? before the hose was basically plugged and I think somehow it sucked in water.
I got all the water out and my seals are holding the gear oil fine I just want to stop the water from coming in and this is my only theory of how it got there. thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Official Historian

Re: Air Hose From Diff??

A couple of comments. Make sure that your vent lines don't go horizontal or they could trap oil in there and block the vent. I don't have anything on the end of my hoses but they turn down for a couple inches at the end to keep water, etc from running into them. I know I should have some cheap fuel filters on them but I don't.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:26 AM

Next time you are at the junk yard just snag one of those little supposidly one way valves of the top of a jeep breather line. They are just a plastic piece that sits in the hose but lifts up slightly to breath. Or just bend the tube over a little, or just get one of those little K and N filter breathers that go on the hose. Many options, and not that important, as long as the H2O stays out.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:00 AM

A few weeks ago there was a post on the board about this. Do a search. Yeah, that's the ticket [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Anyway somebody said that driving into cold water while the diff is hot can cause the air to contract faster than it can be replaced through the little breather hose, so water gets sucked past the seals. I think that he put in 1/2" vent lines for that reason.

It seems to me like one of those things that might be theoretically possible, but not likely a real world problem except in some pretty extreme circumstances, like desert racing and hitting a long cold water crossing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:54 AM

An even cheaper solution: clamp two layers of old pantyhose to the end of the breather line. Still breathes ok, and keeps out most water.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the info Jim Lou. I did do a long water crossing with freezing cold water (Ice on the top) maybe it is true then.. Anyhow once I get a chance I am going to bring it to some water and check it out. thanks Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:59 PM
mudracer

I run the hoses as high as possible on the vehicle (at least as high as the engine air inlet - if it gets that deep, you've got a bigger problem) and turn the end back down, also attach a fuel filter on the end. This keeps dust and dirt out, and, if water does come in, it'll be filtered. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I agree, using bigger lines is pointless overkill. I use 3/8" fuel hose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode