Mopar V6 into CJ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Mopar V6 into CJ??

I keep looking at my CJ and thinking that a 3.9 out of a Dakota perhaps with the factory 5-speed and x-fer case would be a fine swap. Im thinking lighter more powerful FI motor and a 5-speed how can I lose?? If the Dakota trans/x-fer doesnt work out I could swap the Jeep output of a Dana 300 equipped jeep 727 into a Mopar 727 that should bolt up to the 3.9 auto and I'll keep my existing D-300. Anyone see any obvious flaws. I know the Ford/Chev small blocks are way more popular swaps and would produce more power but I prefer Mopar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:42 PM

Re: Mopar V6 into CJ??

STAY AWAY FROM ANY MOPAR ENGINE THAT WAS DESIGNED AFTER 1970!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. My wife's Plymouth with the 2.0 I4 has been a lot of trouble.....

Actually, I've heard a lot of good things about the 3.9, but I'm not sure on what mods will be required. Sounds like you are headed the right direction though. One question, what are you going to rob the computer for the FI out of?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ5!

The current generation of Dodge Magnums are amazing engines...I have owned two, for a total of 150,000 miles between them (still driving one) and I have HONESTLY NEVER had a single problem with them...except for my Ram, when it was new, the water neck gasket seeped a little...they did that under warranty and that was it! They're great motors...albeit thirsty ones!

-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 06:40 PM

Novak Adapters is in the process of manufacturing motor mounts for small block Mopar engines. They should run about $100 when they are released. I have a 318 SB from a 96 Grand Cherokee that will be going into my 7 next winter. I wouldn't bother with a 3.9 - get a 318 or a 360 and have the HP and torque.

A TF727 will bolt to both the Mopar SB and the D300, but you'll need at least 4" of susp. lift to clearance the front driveshaft.

Let me know what you come up with - it will be helpful when I do my swap.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I agree about some of the post 70 Mopars (well, except for the 2.2 turbos i.e. highest specific power output of any mass produced engine at the time) but the 3.9 idea I'm considering is based upon the original LA small block designed in the early 60's. I would like the power of a 5.2 or 5.9 but I am thinking a 3.9 will still provide a marked improvement over my tired 258 and being a bit shorter/lighter than my current inline 6 or any swapped in V8 I'm thinking that the it might be easier to fit in. I am really curious about the feasibility of swapping the whole powertrain from a 4X4 Dakota and hoped that someone might have some experience to share.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 01:22 AM

Remy, what can I say. My wife's Plymouth Breeze eats front cam seals like popcorn. The bloody thing is down the road as soon as I find something I want to trade it in on. Probably an Explorer, Cherokee or Intrepid. However, I may hang a for sale sign on it, let her drive my pickup, and I'll drive my CJ5 for a while....not sure yet.

Honestly, I'd go 318 before the V6, just because of the track record. the 318 is a great engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode