Off Roading Forums banner

Cheap Fender Flares!

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  cj5_pilot 
#1 ·
A while back somebody posted about using lawn edging for fender flares. I looked for some edging today, but couldn't find any. Just on a hunch I swung by the local bargain building place and picked up 6 four foot pieces of 4" grey vinyl cove base. (I got six 'cause I know I'll screw at least one up!) I got home and mounted up one on the front as a flare. Got out the razor knive and 'volia! Looks good too! Total outlay thus far $6.06! When I get all four on and the new tires in a couple weeks I'll take some pics and let ya'll see!

#5 ·
Re: One more Pic

It looks really nice, but aren't you worried about it sagging down, especially once it gets some mud caked on underneath it? Covebase is pretty flexible stuff, depending on the brand. I lay a lot of floors, so I've done a lot of covebase too. There was some cheapo brand we used to get that was stiff as hell and a PITA to lay, but now we use Armstrong and it's real soft and forms easily. I would think the cheap stiff stuff might hold up better. I guess you'll find out, and it was only $6 to do.

#6 ·

Yep, if I don't like them, I'll do something else. I don't think I'll have to bad a problem with sagging, but remains to be seen. Mainly to keep me legal!

#9 ·

Thanks Will! You were definitely my inspiration on this. I was looking for the lawn edging when I found the cove base. Since it was cheaper ($6 for 6 4' pieces verses $30 for 30') I thought I'd try the cove base. If it doesn't work, I'll get some of the edging. I figure my jeeps for playing, not a beauty queen. Thanks again for your post so long ago that inspired me!

#11 ·

I live in Alaska Will. Freight is VERY expensive. Makes everything more expensive Put it this way--I paid $1200 for a CJ5 that in the lower 48 states I wouldn't have touched for $500. BFG 33x10.50s MTs run $198 each. A gallon of milk $4.06. Gas currently $1.55 gal for regular. An hour of flight time in a Cessna 152 is $62--in Arlington Washington it is $55 for a Cessna 172! Not griping, just a fact of life for us. Wages tend to be a bit higher, but real purchase power is about the same. I just bought a 1/2 acre of land for $13,700. Gas and electric to the property line, corner lot, need to punch in a well. Oh, and that is a GOOD deal! Just the price we pay for living in this great state!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.