Which 44 for the front??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Which 44 for the front???

I've broken my dana 30 for the last time. I need to find a front 44 axle but am unsure of what axle to use. Waggie-Scout-early bronco?? I really need to know what years to look so I can have a front end with hubs and a drivers side drop. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Which 44 for the front???

It might help just a little bit if we knew what this was going into.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

'87 Wrangler/'88 5 liter/t18/np205.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

go with an '81 or newer G-Waggie front D44. Just check and make sure the diff doesn't have any vacuum crap on it. If you don't want to bother with that, look for an '86 or newer G-Waggie. These will basically bolt right up. They don't have locking hubs, but you can add some for real cheap. I got a set of new Warn Premium hubs for $60 off e-bay.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Official Historian

It would also help to know which side your 205 output is on.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

He did mention driver's side drop in the first post. So give him kudo's on that[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

jimmythetech - what do you have in the rear? Hopefull you're not keeping the stock rearend and upgrading just the front?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:14 PM
Official Historian

oops.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

The only stock drivetrain component is the front axle. The rear is a 93 explorer 8.8 w/31 spline axles and a lockright(hopefully to be replaced with a detroit).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd look out for a Ford HP Dana 44, but you will have the extra expense of shortening it and converting the lug pattern. What exactly are you repeatedly breaking on your D30 front? axles? I would try getting some Warn shafts if that's it, if it's the u-joint you will have the same size as the Dana 44 if you upgrade to the Warn shafts. Now if your breaking hubs then I understand being pissed at the D30, because you'd have to have the hub conversion kit and they are overpriced POS!(I've seen too many of these hubs bust for the cost). So why exactly do you need a Dana 44? for the bigger ring or pinion gears?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Veteran

Jimmy, man, what are you doing? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Are you draggin' with that rig or what? I thought the whole idea of the 5.0 swap was to use the nice low-end torque for leasurely slow creeps at idle. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you can stay out of it... Yeah, tell us what D30 do you have and what breaks on it. I was running 36" TSLs on mine the first time on some Yugo sized rocks where others toothpicked D35s and I haven't had any problems with my front (260 u-joints!). Course I don't have your torque and crawl either.

Like others said '86 Waggie (no vacuum) D44 with warn shafts, CTM u-joint, ditroit and warn hub fuses (the cheap weak link) is the way to go in my opinion.

By the way, I gess you're the right person to ask: I just got a set of replacement front shafts with the 297x joints but the driver side has what looks like an ABS tone ring on it (the other side doesn't). They probably screwed up the part numbers but can I use it anyway on a non-ABS rig? I'm just trying to avoid sending it back if it will fit anyway. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode