Flex plate ring gear hitting starter - Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flex plate ring gear hitting starter - Help

I recently put a 360 in my CJ with a TF 999. Sometimes after the car is warm, I will hear a tic tic sound coming from the flex plate/torque converter area. I pulled the inspection plate and found that the teeth on the ring gear are shiny on the corners and there is metal powder/shavings in there. I took the starter off and it looks like the flex plate teeth are hitting the starter on the part of the aluminum case where the end of the shaft terminates.

Is it possible I have the flex plate on backwards?, or that the transmission is some how moving? I have checked the bolts and the transmission is secured tightly to the engine. I would think that if the flexplate were on wrong the starter would not engage (this is not the case). The torque converter bolts are tight. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Official Historian

Re: Flex plate ring gear hitting starter - Help

I'll look at mine when I get home and tell you for sure which way it goes. (I don't have the inspection covers on)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Leigh_Smith

I'm having the same problem with my rebuilt 360/727. I have to take the oil pan off and check the thrust bearing. I can slide my crank back and forth about 1/8 ". I don't think you could put the flexplate on backwards cause they are dished somewhat and it would not fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Way Outta Control

You may wnat to go to your autoparts store and get a shim for the starter. The FOMOCO shim is about 1/8" thick and will back the starter out away from the ring gear. In my case, I had to use two of them... The cost was about $7 each.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Official Historian

I can't answer for the 360/727 flex plate, but the 360/TH400 flex plate is dished with the ring gear offset away from the engine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:22 PM

i just figured this out today: Chrysler changed the flex-plate/flywheel and starter designs in 1988 to go to a gear reduction starter. the "new" style flex-plate is closer to the starter and the starter cone is shorter.

i have been trying to put one of these GR starters on my AMC 360, but don't think it will work.

what year is your tranny and/or flexplate out of? matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:03 PM

thats right! I forgot about that!

Ive seen 89/90 G wags wirth amc360 and its maybe a motorola starter? I didnt even think about that!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 04:09 PM

close, its a Bosch-type starter...at least thats what both the NAPA and Advance Auto websites call it. but, the one i have says Nippondenso on it. go figure! matt
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Leigh_Smith

Shimming the starter will do nothing if the ring gear is touching the nose of the starter. I tried it and it would not even engage. Try taking 2 pry bars, 1 by the harmonic balancer and 1 by the flexplate and see if you can move the crank back and forth. It won't take much force and be carefull of your front seal. Proper endplay is around .0008" so there should be very little movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode