AMC 258 Overdrive - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Injected

AMC 258 Overdrive

In the mid 70's AMC Pacers came with 258/3speed manual/overdrive option, anyone have any experience with them? I've got a '75 258/4speed/Dana20 combo and am curious if it could work somehow? I've never seen the setup and don't know much about it.

Thanks,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:46 PM

Re: AMC 258 Overdrive

Seems like to me that you would have little problem mating one of those transmissions to an AMC engine in a Jeep. Likely these will be 2wd transmissions with a long tail housing. The issue then would be to find the correct output shaft and tail housing/adaptor to mate this 3spd OD transmission to your D20 transfercase.
I don't know what model transmission AMC used for their cars with that option so I won't be much help finding if a 4wd type output can be swapped in. Perhaps try here <a target="_blank" href=http://www.amonational.com/>http://www.amonational.com/</a> These people have tons-o-AMC knowledge. Someone should be able to tell you the model of that transmission. Then you can find if the correct output and/or tail housing is available or not.
Could also try searching google or yahoo for other AMC sites.

You didn't really ask... but ummm... if OD is your main objective and you don't wheel hard or run big tires, you could swap in a T-5 and D300 from a later model Jeep CJ. These are decent transmissions for med to light duty use and are commonly available. I have a T-5/D300 (shameless plug). Further, if that 4spd in your Jeep is OE... might be a T-18. These are desirable transmissions and could be quickly sold, likely for more than what you would pay for a T-5/D300 combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode