What crawl ratio is enough? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What crawl ratio is enough?

I was away from it all for a while and just had the local season opener here last weekend. The rig basically works well now but I could use a little higher crawl ratio as the rocks are getting bigger where I wheel and I also switched from 33s to 36s. Currently running a stock AX-15/NP231 setup with 4.10 gears giving me a ratio around 42.

In the spirit of changing as little as possible if things are working I was thinking of getting the 4:1 TeraLow (ugh! $$$) for the NP231 that would put me around 62. On paper it looks to be around 50% increase but how does it really feel on the trail? How much actual felt improvement would it be? That is my question. Obviously, if I do this the install would be relatively simple but I couldn't hope to sell the tcase remains for much if at all and wouldn't be thinking any other similar upgrade for a long wile so it would have to do. I'm also running a D30 front still with the MORE high-steer kit which I'm keeping for now and it might not like a 100+:1 ratio too much.

The other option would be lot more work: NP435/203/D20 dual tcase setup. This would be roughly the same money and the same length as the other option but I could possibly sell the healthy AX-15/NP231 combo with better luck. It would give me around 110:1 ratio that would be more than enough. It is however a job I'm not too comfortable with...yet. I don't know what unseen issues are there with getting the right bell housing and clutch parts and all the other components, adapters to set up properly.

Also if I do a major drivetrain rebuild would it make sense to include the front axle as well and what would it be (a Waggie D44 comes to mind) and what other costs would I have then.

So, any opinions are welcomed in picking the most crawl- and cost effective option. Is there anything I've overlooked? Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 04:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: What crawl ratio is enough?

With your 36"s, it will feel a lot better, lkie 50% better. Enough, depends how inadaquate the current combo was, and your whole configuration. Cost effective options would depend on what you can do yourself, how much you can scrounge from yards, and what you need to buy for each option.

Only you can figure cost effectiveness. Your paramaters are going to be different than everyone else on this board.

Good Luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Just curious, but how can a new tranny, and TWO transfer cases come out smaller than your old tranny and ONE transfer case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 04:30 PM

The 435 is shorter than the ax15 and the adapter between the cases is very thin.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Jamgood, the NP435 is shorter than the AX-15, the 203 is only the reduction portion of the tcase and the D20 is again shorter than the NP231. Overall length is about an inch shorter. It looks like a great setup with great flexibility but it does take some fabbing and knowing what are all the right parts to get. And therein lies my problem. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you read Chad Lloyd's webpage where he discusses the very same options? He went with the dual t-case swap...which makes more sense to me. Lower gears, more flexibility, beefier drivetrain, shorter...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:19 AM

Two words: Atlas II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode