jeep still not running-electrical question (LEVE?) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

jeep still not running-electrical question (LEVE?)

well the jeep is making some progress. i replaced the ignition switch. it turns out that because it was left 'ON' (or because there was a short) it took out the coil, ignition module, and apparently something else too. cause now it fires, but as soon as you bring the key back from the 'start' position, there in no more fire to coil. could it be that i got a bad switch? what else could it be? i am getting anxious to drive my jeep again. any suggestions?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: jeep still not running-electrical question (LEVE?)

someone?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had same problem awhile back. The ballast resistor, that i had installed between the ignition module and the coil (replacing the factory 1.35 ohm resistence WIRE),had failed. Replacing it with a new one solved the problem - so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

what is the 'factory 1.35 ohm resistence WIRE'? is that the wire that runs form the coil to the ignition module (and gets pretty hot)? if that is the problem, how do you replace it?

thanks all
shawn
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:00 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

what is the 'factory 1.35 ohm resistence WIRE'? is that the wire that runs form the coil to the ignition module (and gets pretty hot)? if that is the problem, how do you replace it?

<hr></blockquote>

No, the resister wire goes from the coil to the switched power source. Best way to replace it is probably to use a regular wire with a separate resister. Not sure what car you need to buy a resister for to get the right value tho'. TR or Leve or Dave might know.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Way Outta Control

JeepAir may have pegged this one... but it could also still be a wiring error or a problem with the ignition switch.

When the ignition is in the ON mode a full 12 volts is connected to the coil. This aids in starting cold engines by giving a "hotter" spark. Unless the coil is a special coil constructed to take a full 12 volts this amount of voltage will overheat the coil, and it will die from the heat.

To avoid this problem when rotate the ignition switch back to RUN mode a means of lowering the Coil voltage is switched in. This is done in one of two ways...

a. A resistor. It's normally mounted on the firewall for a head-sink, sandy or gray in color and looks like ceramic.
b. A resistor wire. A few feet of this wire is put between the 12 volt source and the coil. This wire has the resistor built into the wire. So you buy the right amount and splice it in the power lead and you're dropping the reistance to the coil..

In each case the value is 1.35 ohms, and it's pretty standard. Places like NAPA should carry the stuff. Yep, because it resists voltage, this wire can get warm. Better it than your coil.

Measure the voltage on the coil in start. It should be about 12 volts.
Measure the voltage on the coil in run. It should measure about 8.4 volts.

If no voltage is there... then you've got an open reistance. The voltage can't get to the coil. Then you'll just have to trace the lead back from the coil, or foward from the igniion switch to find out why no voltage is going to the coil.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:10 PM

Just a note that I realized I was wrong and editted my post, just in case you read my post in the email notification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode