TFI with MSD 6A? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 07:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TFI with MSD 6A?

I have recently purchased a TFI set-up, which is similar to HEI. I hear great things about them, and can't wait to put it on. I'm also considering whether it would be advantageous to get a MSD 6A as well. Are there any thoughts out there as to whether spending the additional $150 for the MSD 6A is worthwhile? Would there be a noticable improvement with the MSD versus the TFI alone?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: TFI with MSD 6A?

TFI stands for THICK FILM INTEGRATED, and refers to a type of ignition module that Ford uses...

What you bought was a E-core coil and cap and rotor upgrade developed on this BBS by yours truly.

The Upgrade will make your vehicle much more drivable, and it will help with fuel economy and emissions.

The MSD 6 series (Capacitive Discharge Ignition, CDI) module will make a fine addition to any vehicle still using a common induction ignition, and in my opinion is well worth the price MSD is charging.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Veteran

I am running the MSD 6A with the TeamRush upgrade and a MSD Blaster canister coil. Would it be worth while upgrading to a TFI coil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 01:37 AM
Veteran

just did the TR thingie as well, but was waiting to get the coil, plan on doing the MSD 6 box too, was wondering about the coil... better to go with the Ecore coil or are there better aftermarket ones and if so what are they ???

web
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 02:29 PM

The MSD module will make ANY compatible coil a fire breathing dragon!

If you are NOT doing the MSD 6 series module, the E-core coil is a sound investment.

If you ARE doing the MSD 6 module, then just about any stock type coil will work...

I prefer the Ford style E-core coil because it's not oil filled, can be mounted at any angle, works well, and has the good spark plug type terminal for the coil wire, and still works great with the MSD modules.
It's also available at EVERY discount auto parts store in the country, unlike any of the aftermarket coils...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode