O/T Computers and re-gearing GMC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 05:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T Computers and re-gearing GMC

I recently purchased a 1995 GMC G-2500 full size conversion van. It has the 350, 4 speed aoutmatic, engine cooler and transmission cooler. Currently it has 3.42 gears and an open rear end.
My plans are to use this to pull my Jeep and 4 wheeler on my 18' car hauler which total will probably tip the scales somewhere around 6000 pounds.
What I would like to do is install 4.10 gears, and a factory limited slip. What will this do to the computer of this vehicle? Will I need a different computer completely or just a new speed sensor or speedo gear?
There are lots of hills here in Missouri, so I thought I'd go with the 4.10 gears to make it easier on the van.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 10:47 AM

Re: O/T Computers and re-gearing GMC

First of all I would post this on the GMC IFS forum. Secondally the factory limited by chevy (G80) are supposped to be bad....I don't know I don't have one. Thirdly you will have to reprogram your computer otherwise the speedo will be off. Hypertech and several others make them just look through offroad catologues.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T Computers and re-gearing GMC

If it has the same computer setup as a '94 K2500 truck, you will need a new chip in your computer. I used on in my truck because large tires. It will correct the speedo and tranny shift points. About $100. I think Superlift sells a tru-speed kit that does the same thing. Not sure, it has been a while since I had the '94.

Later,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode