I need your help..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I need your help.....

I cant take it anymore! This is off topic, but I know some of you guys drive dodge rams or work on them....so i beg for your help...

I have a 98 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport. I bought it new, and its got about 65000 miles now. I am anal about maintenance. everything is way ahead of schedule.

My problem is i have this chatter thats driving me nucking futs. Its in the cab, on the drivers side. It appears to be somewhere between the door and the steering wheel, but I cant put my finger on it. I have torn the entire dash (what a bihtch it was in this truck too!) and couldnt find anything. I have RS9000s on the truck, and set on 1, soft, its fairly occasional, but handling a lil too smooshy for my sporty driving. I put them on any stiffer setting and the noise is constant, NJ roads arent known for their smoothness. The noise is a chatter, almost a rattle. it is a consistent noise, it doesnt get louder or softer, its the SAME noise all the time, but the stiffer i set the shocks, or the more bumpy the road, themore often the sound. I have taken the weatherstripping out, the dash, the carpeting, driven with the door open, everything. I have also checked outside the cab and nothing. I took off the plastic cover for the wipers and nothing there.

This noise is drivingmu UP the wall...mostly because I cant FIND it! Its to the point where I'm about to pay the Dodge dealer the $90 an hour they get just to fix the damn thing. I've had enough,

I WILL TAKE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS AT THIS POINT, aside from getting rid of the truck. NO I CANNOT LIVE WITH IT...its this constant horribly annoying noise, enough to drive anyone nuts.

ANY IDEAS?
-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:50 PM

Re: I need your help.....

Did you drop a socket or nut somewhere and now it's rattling..

or is it a harder sound like a knocking hammer on the frame?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I should have mentioned that...I am the original owner, and the ONLY one who drives the truck. No parts or tools have ever been dropped or lost in the vehicle.

The noise is a fairly quiet chatter. You can barely hear it if the a/c fan is on full blast, but otherwise....its there. Its definitely in the cab, front left. I just cant figure out where...its only doen this for the last few months, NOT since new....so I know it didnt leave the factory this way...

I should also add that it does this no MATTER what you are doing, be it accelerating, decelerating, cruising, turning, braking, it doesnt matter. same noise, same frequency. That just reinforces that its in the cab...I gotta get this!!!!
Remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Aprentice

It's a long shot, but are you sure the noise isn't a relay or something clicking inside the fuse box ? My 2001 Dodge sometimes has a clicking noise from there. Usually when it's cold, but it sometime it goes on for quite awhile. I guessing your's has the fuse box down on the driver's side of the dash.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 08:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the suggestion, groundhog...i already tried that,and tried driving without the fuse panel door entirely....to no avail....thanks!

-remy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you tried driving it around with the rear door open a little (not engaged at all)? I've heard a few people complain about the little suicide doors starting to rattle after a while. My '98 isn't a quad cab, so I wouldn't be able to confirm any rattling from that rear door.

Have you taken your front door panel off? Our motorhome use to have a similar rattling noise coming from the drivers door area. I ignored it until the window wouldn't roll up anymore. I could hear the motor engaging, but the window wouldn't move. Turns out that the window was bolted to the power window bracketry by two bolts/nuts and the nuts had worked their way off. I re-installed the window and tightened everything down. No more rattle... Just a thought.. Good luck. Bret
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

no, i havent had the door panel off. ITs an extreme pain in the [censored] on these trucks. I am sure its on in the door because when i drive with the door open, tough to do at 30mph!, It still makes the noise. I have it narrowed down to either somewhere in the dash, firewall, or d/s kick panel. I've had the entire dash out and put it back in, to no avail...and i dont recommend this--its a real pain on this truck, to get the clips and bolts lined up at the bottom of the windshield. I'd like to meet the man who designed this dash, and kick him in the nuts. I'll be going back out in an hour to tear the truck apart again. I AM NOT GIVING HUP YET! (mainly cause i dont have the cash to pay the dealer $90/hr to try and do the samr thing i'm doing!)

-remy
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:29 AM
I Do This For The Glory

My suggestion is to get one of those automotive stethoscopes for $3.99 at the local auto store. Have someone else drive it while you're trying to pinpoint where it's coming from. You'll be anazed at what you hear with one of those, even the cheap ones. I narrowed my lifted chatter down to the 3 & 5 cylinders (V-6), which may help me down the road when I have the heads rebuilt.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Remy,
Have an idea.
Find a rough deserted road. Get your truck up to speed and shut off the engine while rolling, that will tell you if it is electronic or just a loose something.

Be carefull, and make sure it is deserted, even better a parking lot with no obsticles. Your brakes will not work well (I have a '99, and know how heavy these suckers are), and your steering wheel may lock (Check it first).

It will not solve the problem, but may help in the diagnosis.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

try...http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/troubleshoot/body.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode