YJ springs on a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

YJ springs on a CJ

Wondering if anyone has put YJ springs onto a CJ-7, what problems you might have run into, and if it is worth it. My brother is looking into putting 4 inch lift YJ srpings into one of his CJ-7s. I have heard it is fairly easy, just have to move the rear of the front spring hanger back.

Thanks on info

77 CJ-7 304, 85 CJ-7 4 inch lift, 33's, 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:34 PM

Re: YJ springs on a CJ

Rear CJ springs are wider (2.5" vs. 2") than YJ springs, so you will also need new hangers and shackles in the rear. I haven't done the upgrade personally, but there are a few here who have, they might be able to shed more light on potential problems or drawbacks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

http://rubicon.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/cjsoa.html
According to this website they are the same width. Not sure personally, but thanks for the tip. I will have to see if what the YJ springs measure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:45 PM

I had it backwards. Here's a quote from that writeup:
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The rear springs used in CJs and YJs are the same width, so the rear springs bolt right in. The YJ front springs are a little longer and wider than CJ front springs. The fixed spring hanger for the CJs front spring is the correct width because the CJ front spring uses a wide bushing in the back. It is the shackle side of the CJ that is not compatible with the YJ front springs.

<hr></blockquote>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thats what I thought. We are going to try the YJ springs cause from that article it seemed to be easy, but we are not doing the soa.

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

Do it! This is the best way you can do a over the counter spring lift for two reasons. One is that the YJ springs will give you a much better ride due to the difference in spring rates. Second your lift will not only fit '76-86 CJ's, but it will fit '87-95 YJ's after your CJ rusts out! All you have to do is get new spring hangers for the front that are longer and new shackles. Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jksmfg.com/>http://www.jksmfg.com/</a>. They make the parts you need that will bolt right on. I put this lift on my '80 CJ and really am impressed. The rear hangers of my front springs were welded on, so extending the front was the only way to go. You will have to fab up an extention to your frame channels to hold your front bumper on because the springs will stick out too far for it to mount back in the same holes. Any ?'s just ask.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for the info. My brother is going to do this lift in either his 83 cj-7 or his 79. I already have a 4 inch lift for my cj or I would do it. I did just pick up another cj-7 with a 304, maybe I will see how his goes and think about putting it in that one.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode