Tubing Benders - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Tubing Benders

OK, I have decided to do my own roll cage. I need to buy a good tubing bender. I have been looking at the JD Squared bender and the ProTools bender. They are very close price and feature wise. Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with these, especially regarding quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:22 PM

Re: Tubing Benders

I recently picked up a bender from Harbor Freight. It is not the highest quality bender mind you, but for the limited amount of use I will get out of it I should be fine. If you are only planning on using it every so often, I would go with which ever is cheaper.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stay away from the Harbor Freight bender if you're doing a cage. It's really a pipe bender and will deform the tube at the bend. They work fine for stuff like bumper hoops or crossmembers, but anything structural needs to be bent with a true tubing bender with a follower. Personally I'm buying a JD squared bender. They seem to have a really good reputation with the fellas on the Pirate board. When comparing prices make sure and find out how much dies are. The benders may be similar in price but I've found that die prices can really differ in price quite a bit by manufacturer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a jd2 and it is a great bender. the quality of it and the protools bender are the same butt he jd2 is a little cheaper so naturally it is the one i went with. i have a 1 3/4 5.5 die set with mine. i think it is a good size for roll cages. it is alittle bit of work being a manual bender but it does produce some sweet bends.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses,

To Snowtow, Not to worry. I am aware of the differences between and tubing and a pipe bender. I am going to be buying a tubing bender.

To High 5, Yes the JD Squared bender is a little cheaper than the ProTools bender, but I think the ProTools dies are slightly cheaper. I am wondering if it would be the better buy in the long run. I guess it depends on how many dies I buy in the future.

Right now with the accessories I had in mind and the dies I want, they are within $70 of each other. I just want to make sure of the quality of the products before I make my decision. (I like the Low Buck Tools bender and it's price but the limited number of dies ruined it for me.)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 04:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

when i was looking i thought the dies were more for the pro-tools but maybe i was wrong. heck i can't remember. anyway as for quality, everything i have read said the same about both. you really can't go wrong with either.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Nickmil

I've heard very good things about the JD squared bender. I have the Pro-Tool bender and am very happy with it. I've done a couple of cages with it and everyone has been happy with the quality of bends. It even came with a videotape on how to do layouts! Nickmil.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:53 AM

high5,
I'm looking at jd's model 3 bender, how hard is it to bend manually? Is getting hydraulic kit worth it? I will be looking at building 3-5 cages max using either 1-3/4" or 2" tubing.
thanks...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TNjeepCJ8,
to bend it manually is a job. i use a piece if 1x2" rectangular tubing for my breaker bar. it is like 10ft long. the bending isn't that hard with a bar that long but when i am grabbing the end of it and walking it it takes a while. the hydraulic would be sweet if you got the $$$. if not then it works fine with out it. it's just more work on you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode