I need help identifying engine an engine component - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:12 AM
Posts: n/a
I need help identifying engine an engine component

Currently my '79 V8 304 leaks oil badly! While I was under the Jeep I noticed a bolt VERY loose, finger loose actually. Maybe this will help keep the oil in and not leak, I don't know. It was towards the rear of the oil pan that fastened what I think to be a heat shield to the clutch housing.? I think. As you view it from underneath the Jeep going towards the back of the Jeep you see...
1. Tie Rods
2. Crankshaft Pulley
3. Oil Pan
4. Heat shield (1/8" thin aluminum cover)

Then this component. The component in question is attached to the transmission identified by the drain plug. Is that the "Clutch Housing"?
That is where oil appears to be coming from, between the heat shield and the "clutch housing". I've been told and I suspect a rear main seal leak is the cause of the oil leak, but to be honest I don't even know where the damn rear main seal is. Is it right where the oil pan mmets that heat shield thing? Is it appox at the center of the oil pan once the oil pan is removed? I know this is really basic engine anatomy to you guys, but everybody has to start somewhere and the Haynes manual assumes you have a relative knowledge about this, it just says... "Remove the transmission, remove rear oil seal with pliars, apply soap to new seal and install using reverse methodology." IF I remove the oil pan I assume I'll be staring up at a length of crankshaft and the rear main seal will be at the rear of the crankshaft within a bearing. It goes through the heat shield and into the clutch housing and clutch components? Right, Wrong, Close?
Thanks for the basics.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Southeast Iowa
Posts: 6,394
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: I need help identifying engine an engine component

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] What you see there is most likely the clutch housing lower COVER. The housing is the big cast iron or cast aluminum piece that bridges the gap between the transmission case and the back of the engine. The clutch housing is bell shaped, hence the term "bellhousing". The rear main oil seal leaks INTO the clutch cavity which is formed by the bellhousing and the lower tin or aluminum cover. The oil usually shows up leaking out of the clutch cavity/bellhousing group first. Replacing a rear main isn't too tough, just follow the directions in the repair manual and you'll be fine.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
CJDave is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:29 AM
Can't Get Enough
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Posts: 1,445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: I need help identifying engine an engine component

Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by jeat shield, I'm assuming its part of the bell housing like maybe the inspection cover (is it an automatic trans?).

Your rear main seal is the seal that seals the oil pan to the block around the the crank. Just look at the back of your oil pan and the rounded section is the rear seal.

Once you have drained the oil and pulled the pan, just follow the instructions in the haynes, or go get a Chilton, they seem to have better instructions. Bad thing about rear seals is that they sometimes rub a groove into the crank and when you replace the seal it still leaks a little due to that groove thats been engraved into the crank..

kerryp is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Posts: n/a
Re: I need help identifying engine an engine component

My transmission is a 3 speed T-150. I see that the starter will have to come off in order to remove the oil pan easily. Once that is off it can't be that hard. I thought the rear main seal was a half moon shaped rubberish seal that was seated into a groove within a bearing. Are you telling me that the Rear Main Seal is a term referring to the RTV seal on top of the oil pan and the back end portion where it is shaped as though a crank passed above it is the "rear main seal"?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:09 AM
Official Historian
WILL's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 8,339
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: I need help identifying engine an engine component

No, after you drop the oil pan, the rear seal is inside the rear bearing cap. Half the seal is in the bearing cap and the other half is above the crank in the block.
WILL is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome