Flimsy Hardtop, How to fix??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Flimsy Hardtop, How to fix???

Well, with spring arriving, I've been driving around a lot more with the windows down and I have noticed how flimsy my hardtop actually is. When cruising down the freeway at 65 mph, it sort of creates a vacuum that "sucks" the middle of the top down against the roll cage, in effect creating one heck of an obnixious noise that is hard to drown out with the stereo. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on how to stiffen the middle inside of the hardtop. I have since added some padding to the middle cross bar of the roll cage, but I am afraid that with the top still moving like that it will eventually crack somewhere. I thought about getting a small piece of aluminum flat bar and pop-riveting it to the inside of the roof. But I am not sure if the roof is double-walled. I am thinking that it is and I could drill through the inner wall, and pop-rivet to it. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:14 AM

Re: Flimsy Hardtop, How to fix???

I suggest cutting a couple of pieces of 1X2 clear white pine and fitting them as ribs under the top. Once you have matched them to the curve, 'glass them to the top with two layers of fibreglass cloth.

A foam board would be better than the pine. Unfortunately the polyester fibreglass resin will eat Styrofoam and similar products. You would need to use an epoxy resin, and that's more expensive and harder to work with, so I've been told.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:35 AM

To strengthen the canopy on my pickup I used some 1/2" PVC and fiberglassed it to the inside of the top. Works great. Took the flex out of it for the most part (I was strengthening the canopy for a canoe rack) but didn't make it so rigid it would break easily. Did it in '97 and still fine. I painted the inside with spray paint next, then used a splatter coating over that and it looks original. Let us know how you do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:39 PM

PVC is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode