Jeep Questions , Help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep Questions , Help!!

Hi, I am about to buy another Jeep after going without one for the last 2 years. I had older CJ-5's in the past (65 CJ-5 W/134, & 72 CJ-5 W/304). I am looking for a CJ-7. I am going to look at a 1978 CJ 7 with a stock, smog legal 304. It has 4.11 gears with a Model 20 witha older Detroit Locker in the rear and a Dana 30 & a Powerlock in the front. It has a NP 435 transmission. The seller is asking $5500 for it and is the original owner. It has the hard top and doors a full cage and a 2 1/2" lift with 33's. I guess my question what are the pro's and con's of the 304 vs the 258. Are there any issues with extreme frame flex (my 72 was terrible, the drivers side frame horn was abouyt 2 inches higher than the other side. I am not into extreme rockcrawling but I want a rig that won't leave me stranded and will be comfortable. Any opinions would be great. Would I be better off with a 258 in a wide track CJ-7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:08 AM

Re: Jeep Questions , Help!!

hey warrbuk, welcome to the board. Just a hint, but you'll catch more flys with honey. try a subject with more info.

"is 78 CJ too flexy?"

or "258 vs 304 which should I buy?
you can even edit the subject of this post.

my opinion is 1986 cj with 258. but, 5500 could be a sweet deal for a rig in the right condition.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jeep Questions , Help!!

I don't believe there is a lot of diference between the 304 and the 258 as far as performance is concerned. The 304 has a bit more horse power and just a little more torgue. I think the 304 is a slightly better motor. The frame on the 76 and newer CJ's were much improved over the 75 and older models. Jeep widened them and fully boxed them after 76. I don't think you will have too much flexing particularly if you don't plan on wheeling it too hard. If you experience alot of unwanted flex I would check the condition of the body mounts and bushings. If the tranny and drivetrain seems to be operating correctly and installed well, I believe you have a pretty good deal. This is assuming the body is in good condition. As far as reliablilty, the 304 is every bit as reliable as the 258 (and sounds better too). Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode