how to get an broken easy out out?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how to get an broken easy out out??????

Yeah I know, I feel really dumb but I bought a cheapo easy out cause they were the only place open and I "had" to have it right away. Now I have broken bolt and an easy out stuck in my manifold. Its in one of the holes where the carb bolts on so its easy to get to. I tried drilling it but that isnt going to work. Would it possibly work if I get a real high quality bit? Any other suggestions or past experiences? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:54 AM
Official Historian

Re: how to get an broken easy out out??????

I'm curious too. I have a craftsman easy out in one of my broken skidplate bolts that happened over a year ago.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I also snapped an easy-out off. I too tried drilling it, but it ain't gonna work. Those things are HARD. Maybe a high quality bit would work. My only other thought is to weld a nut onto it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:32 AM

A broken easyout is big trouble. They are about 56c-60c Rockwell, about the same as a drill bit. A cutting torch with a small tip is a possibility. Get the easyout red and GENTLY get into the oxygen.

Another trick is to weld a small bolt to the broken stub. Also I have gotten them out with a sharp center punch, if they're not too deep. Just keep tapping on it side to side, and eventually it will loosen.

FYI, it's probably not due to a cheap tool. You might have used one too big for the bolt, in which case it will expand the bolt in the hole as it tightens in.

My favorite extraction tool is a set of left-hand drill bits. Just like a regular bit but made to turn counterclockwise. As it drills into the bolt, the hole releases the pressure from the threads, and then the drilling torque suddenly spins the remainder out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 06:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

To get a easy out or a drill bit out you will need a carbide(SP) bit and a high speed drill. The problem is i couldnt tell you where to buy a carbide bit at. The high speed drill is there so you get that easyout hot and almost really melt it out. Good luck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 06:59 PM

A machinest cussed me once for breaking one off in an amc360 head!

He ended up redrilling hte hole really larger, and putting an insert inside to get the proper dia again. ( 3/8 16 ALTernator bolt)

Its a bitch, at this point.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One time I busted off a real cheapo and I was able to take a good quality small center punch and a small ball pean hammer and in a sense chisel it out. Then I drilled the hole as large as I dared without damaging the threads, then the cold chisel and hammer very carefully to get it started turning out. Worked for me, took forever (it seemed). If I didn't hate horses more than cars ..............
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I once had a easy out break in another easy out that was broken in a bolt in the crank. i just use small drill bits and make a few holes in it. I usually go through like 10 drill bits doing this, but it usually relieves all the pressure and comes right out.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

I usually build it out longer with the mig, then weld a nut over the build-up. Take your time, and let it cool a few times, this also allows the broken bolt to free up. On the last weld, I like to place parrifin wax on the side. That will flow into the old threads and lubricate it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Dorfs has the right idea. When we had the MACHINE SHOP, I just could not COUNT the number of times someone would bring in a gear case, or a casting or a what-have-you and casually ask us if we could just "remove" a broken bolt that was in it. "Sure" I would say, and then the guy would sort of look off in the distance and say in a very low voice: "There's a bit broke off in it." Sometimes it was a tap or an easy-out. I KNEW he felt like crap, so I would always say: "Yeah, NO PROBLEM." and then watch the relief flood over him. I just set a nut over the hole and got that wire welder and got down in the hole and built it up with weld from the bottom up so the nut was full and cherry red when I got done and then I LEfT IT SITTING THERE for sometimes hours until it cooled and SHRANK BACK FARTHER THAN IT WAS; and then I unscrewed the whole mess out just like Dorfs told you in his reply.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I got in the habit of tossing these "rescues" into a bucket we had in the corner of the welding shop as "trophies", and a testament to our welding prowess. Not that we would brag about it or anything like that;[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] heh heh heh [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode