Off Roading Forums banner

14 bolt vs Dana 44

4K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I'm sure that this comparison has been posted here before, but I had to show pics anyhow. I spent a couple of hours disassembling the 14 bolt that's going into my CJ6 today and set the ring and pinion on the bench next to a Dana 44 r/p. Talk about a difference! Now that I have the 14 apart I can get the razor sharp to "shave" some clearance off the bottom of it.

Ring gear:

Pinion:

See less See more
G
#5 ·
Yep it's a full floater and yep you lose a good chunk of ground clearance. There's quite a bit of room between the bottom of the ring gear and the bottom of the housing, so I'm going to cut a chunk out of the housing and weld a steel plate to cover the hole. This should get me about 2-2.5" more clearance and I will be running 37 or 38" tires.

Attachments

G
#8 ·
Yeah I noticed that. I just posted the picture to show what the idea is. I don't think I'll shave the housing so much that I need to turn the ring gear, but every little bit will help with that pig.

G
#9 ·
Man the idea of running a 14 bolt is getting more appealing everyday! There are cheap have 1.5" shafts, the Detroit lockers only cost about $300, and the gears are easier to set-up then a Dana axle. Well I quess I need to find someone to buy my 60 now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.