CJ 5 Towing capacity? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

CJ 5 Towing capacity?

I am wondering how much you guys tow with your jeeps? How much is safe? Do any of you tow power boats? Does anyone know the manufacters specific tow weight rating for a CJ? I plan on adding a hitch that ties in to the frame, how will this effect that munber.

Tell me your expieriences.

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:19 PM

Re: CJ 5 Towing capacity?

I'd keep it light and short. Not because you can't get the weight moving, but problem is STOPPING. The other problem is having the trailer start to sway and do nasty things to the tow rig. Just the other day I towed my wife's '97 Plymouth Breeze (another damn seal blew--it's getting traded in as soon as I see something I like) with my '95 Ranger. Granted, I'm running the little 4cyl, so getting up to speed took some doing, but that 3600lbs car got to swaying a little bit in the ruts on the highway (yes, in Alaska, there are ruts in the paved highways!) and it was definitely noticeable in my 4100lbs sample truck. I didn't even consider towing it with the jeep since the short wheelbase and lack of power brakes definitely makes things hairy. For myself, I'm running a '74 CJ5 with a 304 and 3.73s soon with 33x9.50s and I plan on keeping any trailer I pull on the highway under 1500lbs. That's why I've been looking at tent trailers.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thats what I was thinking. What if I add trailer brakes to the equation? Do you think that the short wheel base is still going to be a promblem? I am not woried about power, I dont mind it being a little sluggish, and I plan on a V8 swap, but it has to be safe. If I total my Jeep or my dads boat it wont be good.

what do you think?

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I wouldn't tow anything more than a 4 x 8 utility trailer with a cj-5. If you tow anything with weight, it will pull you around and you could loose control. No it's not safe.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

okay, thanks for the reply.
Tony
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:25 PM

Trailer brakes are great things....when they work. Personally, I don't trust any of them on light trailers. Heck, I don't even trust the air brakes on large trailers! Still, even with good trailer brakes, a heavy or large trailer will push a jeep all over the road. If we are talking a 14' or 16' open aluminum boat like a Lund or Starcraft with a small outboard you are probably okay. If you are talking a 20' Willie Predator, 16' Ranger bass boat (you know, one of them low profile things with an engine swiped from the Tallegeda 500) or similar, I'd use a bigger rig. Just my .02 though...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

last time i was in clayton ok i had to tow a toyota with a broken drive shaft all the way from snake pit out to k trail. man lower powerline is fun but it is really fun with a toy attached to you with a strap put 1ton axles under your jeep and all of the suddon your a tow truck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:09 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I had a NASTY wreck with a stock, 1968 bronco. Ever since then, I'm NOT towing anything with a short wheelbased vehicle. My CJ5 has a hitch on it, and it's gonna rust off before being pulled off.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Point taken. I guess it is not worth wrecking the Jeep or the Boat, or worse yet risk my own or someone elses life.

I know this is a jeep board but does anyone have any idea what a 87 toyota regular cab short bed toyota 4x4 pick up witha 4cyl can tow safely?

Thanks for the replies
Tony

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tony, what was skated around, but no one actually said the word is "Wheelbase." A CJ-5 HAs such a short wheelbase, it could EASILY be pushed around by a small trailer, ever end up A$$ over teakettle sideways. As far as the Yota....they arent known for their towing ability....but I'd say it would do better than the 5. They have a longer wheelbase and usually either 4.11 or 4.56 gears.

-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode