Where can I get factory CJ7 tire carrier bolts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Where can I get factory CJ7 tire carrier bolts?

I need some of the bolts that mount through the tub and hold the tire carrier brackets in place. These bolts don't have a head. They are smooth on the exterior of the tub. I need 8 of them. Does the dealer still stock these? Where else can I get them? I would use regular bolts, but I am not installing the carrier, and the heads are going to be exposed on the back of my tub.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Old Hand

Re: Where can I get factory CJ7 tire carrier bolts?

Tom,
Don't know about the dealership and I'm sure you already thought of this, but there is the Jeep salvage yard down south on 183 by the new A/P. They have several CJ's.
Or try Austin Bolt Company on Rutland #836-1611. They might not have an exact match. But they sure can get close.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Drury,
You aren't talking about Southside Jeep Parts, are you? I don't go there until I have exhausted all other resources. That is the "Jeep Nazi". You never know if you will get your part or not. I had them take a part out of my hand an make me say I was sorry before the would sell it to me. That was my last visit.....

I don't think Austin Bolt will have it. I am going to try the dealer first and then start asking all of the guys that are parting old CJs. If you live south, American bolt is on Burleson. They have everything that Austin bolt has.

Later,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

I'm not really sure what the bolts look like but sometimes a good machine shop can whip out something small like this and not charge you an arm and leg. ???
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:40 AM
WhiteJeep

I recently finished building my bumper mounted tire carrier using the stock brackets and carrier (replaced rotted steel tub with 'glass tub). I welded the factory carrier brackets to 2x2 square tube. In order to weld the brackets to the square tube, I needed to remove the bolts. The bolts you are referring to, that mount the brackets to the body, are integrated into the bracket itself. That is, they are almost like studs. They are welded to the bracket. I had to take a BFH and "pop" the bolts from the bracket. I would think those bolts would not be available from a dealer. What about stainless steel carriage bolts?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should clarify my quest. I am looking for some flat headed bolts. These are the bolts that are located on the inner rear fender well. You can see their flat head just by looking inside the tub. These bolts are used to support the tire carrier's internal bracket located near the fuel filler. I am curious if Wranglers have any similar bolts, as they might be easier to find at the dealer.

Thanks again,
Tom
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 05:16 PM
BMB
Veteran

Tom, I think you may be looking for an elevator bolt or it may be at least close enough for you to use. look at this and see
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/search/ItemDetails.asp?ProdID=32372>http://www.fastenal.com/shoponline/search/ItemDetails.asp?ProdID=32372</a>

BMB
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

That could work if the threads go all the way down. I will see if my local bolt supply has any of those.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode