I did something clever today! (kinda long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did something clever today! (kinda long)

Hey guys...

I was out in the garage...just straightening up a lil bit...and my "old" Craftsman drill was on the workbench. I call it "old" because its since been replaced. I bought it probably 6 or 7 years ago. I got the 3 year extended warranty on it, ang guess what? it broke after 2 years and 364 days! hehehe

Anyway, to the point. All 4 battery packs have died over the years, so I went to buy a new battery a few weeks ago...I went to sears...and thebattery pack is no longer stocked, it would take weeks to get, blah blah blah....Discouraged I left...stopped at Homeless Depot on theway home and bought a new 18V cordless Dewalt...best thing I ever did. So I have this perfectly good, lightly used drill laying around that I cant use...I offered it to friends and family alike for FREE, along with the charger and case...but nobody wanted to spend the $70 for a battery.

It then dawned on me...the drill was 12 volt...and my truck is 12 volt! So i disassembled one of the battery packs, removed like 10 C size batteries that were wired together, and soldered 25 feet of 14 gauge wire to each terminal. I went to radio shack and got a 12V accessory plug for $1, wired it in...and now my drill is 12 volts again, ao long as there is a vehicle within 25 feet! It gets turbocharged when youstart the engine and put out 14V...hahaha

Now that I knew it worked, I took the "modified" battery pack apart, drilled two holes in the bottom, one for the wire to come out, and another for a bolt, so that the wir wont pull out no matter how hard you tug on it. I also have a 12V marine weatherproof outlet mounted on my 2" receiver hitch for powering my electric cooler when its in the bed and lights and other camping gear. So now I have a corded cordless drill...now I have a drill in my wheeling toolbox!

I just thought it was a temporary stroke of genious, and wanted to share it with you guys. Maybe I saved one of you from throwing out a perfectly good tool!

-Remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: I did something clever today! (kinda long)

I've done the same thing for a major cave excavation. We were using Makita cordless hammerdrills and the batteries were draining after 15-20 minutes (limestone is TOUGH!). We ended up carving some soft pine to mimic the shape of the battery and connected some short leads to the end of the wood. These had standard 120V AC plugs added and the corresponding end split out to large alligator clips. As we moved farther into the cave, we just added more lengths of standard orange drop cords.
We did end smoking one due to using it WELL beyond it's duty cycle [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Remy,
That is a great Idea! You could even get one of these drill pumps to move water when camping if it has a trigger lock.
Now you have to update your profile to include "On-board Drill"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

SWEEEEEAT, I have a craftsman drill that's in the same boat. Old batteries wore out and it was cheaper to buy a new drill, charger, batteries and case than to replace the two wore out batteries. Thanks for the idea!!!

Brent
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great idea! Gotta love those brief moments of divine inspiration!

Flying is going well - I'm starting to enjoy it more now that I have an idea what I'm doing. But I quickly ran out of funds, so I'll only be able to afford once every week or two.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

mbalbritton,

Welcome to the board, I was wondering when I'd see you over from JU.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:40 PM

Now there's a fella that't thinkin' , thanks for sharing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:41 PM

Now there's a fella that's thinkin' , thanks for sharing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:40 AM

That's a great idea! Makes me wonder if I can find that old B&D I have laying around....oh, wait, it's 9.6V....hmmmm....wonder if it would stand 12V.....have to ask my buddy that is an electrical engineer....

Canis, how many hours do you have? I was going up this morning, but the guy that wanted to go backed out at the last minute.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ5_pilot...check yer email
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode