How to keep my jeep from being STOLEN - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

How to keep my jeep from being STOLEN

I'm looking for the best setup to keep my jeep from being ripped off. I guess a hidden fuel pump/ignition cutoff switch is good, but it can be found. Lo-jack isn't available where I live. I'd like a remote operated ignition cutout, but I don't need the alarm part. Is there any other "tracking" alarms that the police can find your vehicle with? I just don't want my $25,000 jeep to dissapear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How to keep my jeep from being STOLEN

You're thinking too hard!

You can always take your battery out when you leave it parked...get a couple of the quickconnects from autozone for like $10. Chain your steering wheel to your seatframe. Rig up something wierd...for instance...so that the parking lights have to be on for the starter to work. Be creative, and you'll protect your Jeep for free!!

-Remy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] send me an e-mail and I'll e-mail back an anti-theft system design that I have on hard disc. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I'm pretty sure I can find it in my computer stuff and get it sent to you. I've sent it before so it should go. I only send this to "known" Jeep people.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You can have a ignition kill switch and hood lock (These are really nice) in one. I think JCwhitney has them but all I could find is in Quadratec <a target="_blank" href=http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=13003+50&amp;UREQA=1&amp;UREQB=2&a mp;UREQC=3&amp;UREQD=4&amp;FNM=00&amp;UID=20020409 16045468>here</a>. They are a barrel lock and a deadbolt that when disengaged, allows ground through a wire (use with a relay) and stops ground when engaged. It is very sturdy and cannot be cut, or torn out. Works with CJs too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree. I have seen the ingition kill switched with a hood lock and they are what I am considering.

Basically it is a push button that mounts under the steering column ( I beleive) and it has the sort of cylindrical key found on your typical kryptonite bike/motorcycle cable lock. You push the button and it sets the engine kill switch. No way to turn on the engine. PLUS when you push it, it sets a kryptonite hood lock pin that keeps your hood from being pried open and allowing the thieves to get to the battery/ignition. Plus I think the one I was looking at has the little blinking light for your dash.

Sometimes even just that little light is enough of a deterrent. At least for the casual thief.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

I've got a battery disconnect switch to keep my battery from draining after long periods of sitting, but it's not much of a deterrent to a semi-sophisticated thief. I heard some guy saying he was going to install a kill switch wired to his cigarette lighter, so that the engine would only turn when it's pushed in...might baffle some thieves since it's hidden inside a normal accessory.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Old Hand

Grant "no wheel no steel" is what I use.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 06:12 PM

I use an alarm, and a cut off switch inside my tuffy and a hood lock. I figure it will take a while to break open the door the tuffy find the kill and jump while the alarm is blaring.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 06:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Check this out , its a good deterent .I want this eventually for my CJ , I have one of those hood lock / ignition kills and a grade 8 eye-bolt in the hood , it goes through the rad support and then a BIG Masterlock padlock clicks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.americanboss.com/main.htm>http://www.americanboss.com/main.htm</a>

Jeff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I don't agree with a few options:

1) take out battery- I'm not carrying that around the mall
2) Battery disconnect, thief will turn it back on
3) Removable wheel- vice grips probably work fine...
4) Starter/ignition kill- a jumper from battery terminal to coil and starter and your jeep is gone

What's left?
1) I like the eye bolt and padlock for the hood
2) Electric fuel pump cutoff if you have one- can't easily jump a wire to that.
3) When I move back to CA, I'll get the lo-jack system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode