Re: 4.0L Swap Questions....anyhelp please!
Well you raise the same question I have been raising.
What I have done so far is to get the engine compartment harness from the donor vehicle.
I have tracked down two schematics - one for the 85 CJ and the other for the 95 Wrangler. I also found a link to a schematic on this board that identifies where the color-coded wiring goes from the PCM at least on a 94 model.
What I understand so far is that one needs:
1. The fuel injection rail and intake manifold with throttle-body.
2. The throttle-cable from donor vehicle.
3. The charcoal canister from donor vehicle.
4. Engine engine compartment wiring harness from donor.
5. Thermostat housing from donor with temperature sensor from donor.
6. Exhaust manifold with oxygen sensor from donor or will need to put one in the exhaust.
7. MAP sensor.
8. Speed sensor - I am uncertain about this one. At one point I understood it connected in someway to the speedo in the tranny.
9. After-market harmonic balancer/sensor unit for use with 258 -substitute for sensor mounted in the Tranny on the 95.
10. Distributor from donor vehicle.
11. Maybe another temperature sensor (based on webnotes, cut uncertain about where it goes yet or if it is needed)
12. I also believe there may be an airflow sensor, but uncertain about this one yet.
The donor vehicle was a serpentine system - so it means changing the pulleys on the alternator, power steering, and crank (I believe).
Web notes recommend stripping the covering off the wiring harnessness and laying it out on a table. Then tracking the wiring that will be needed. I understand the remainder of the wiring is not needed and can be removed. I have not yet done this part as I am still trying to finalize what is specifically needed. I will probably not remove any of the wiring until such time as the vehicle is actually running. Then with that reassurance, I will be more confident in cutting.