Engine upgrade questions :) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine upgrade questions :)

what is the easiest(least mods required to complete) engine replacement/upgrade to change a 2.5ltr from a 88yj to a six cylinder either 243 or the 258??? And any info on the swap would be great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine upgrade questions :)

well has anyone here done this type of conversion on a yj to upgrade from a 2.5? If so any information would be greatly appreciated as I want to plan this out to try to complete it before the fall [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] thank you
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HMMMMMM 57 views and not one reply... this must be a seldom done procedure then [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

it depends...
if you need to keep it emissions legal. then you are limited to the laws of the strate your in.. if not.. it still depends.. if you are a mud/sand guy, then I'd slap in an AMC 360 or 401.. if you are a rock hound, you might want to concider a 258.. how much HP are you looking for??
keep in mind that the 4 banger jeeps have weak tranny, weak axles, weak about everything.. you'll need to upgrade it all. the 258/ 4.0 will not bolt to the tranny you have anyway...
this all means a lot of $$$$ if your looking to do a swap. it may justify the cost of a chevy 350 or a 5.0 with the matching chevy or ford tranny..
one last thing.. relax... some folks view the posts because they are interested in the info also..not just cause they know the answer and dont wanna tell you...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hehe I am very relaxed ,just was wondering if anyone had expierence with this type of swap could let me in on a few of the steps needed....I need to keep the jeep smog legal and am not looking for a big block transplant or v-8, just want to upgrade to a 258 or 243 inline 6, would like to know the best swap for engine transmission\transfer, axles that will keep it close to a stock yj wrangler and info like wiring harnesses and ecm needed to keep it all running well... thank you for your reply [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Veteran

thought about this one with my 95 yj and after thorough consideration and a look at the cost and headache i determined that it would be cheaper to sell my 4 banger yj and get another cj, i had some good articles on this procedure, but it has been a while so i'll see if i can find them, ill keep you posted.

web
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Yes the 4 banger YJ has a weak tranny, but the rest is really no different than a 4.0's drivetrain. Still has the d30 and d35 axles. Still has the 231. Plus, an added bonus would be the 4.10's in the diffs. I think this could possibly be done in a somewhat cost effiecient way. You could find a wrecked YJ, TJ, or XJ and steal the guts. Start calling some junkyards and find out some prices. What type of wheeling will you be doing? Maybe you'll decide you want to drop a granny 4 speed in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode