Help for a Jeep newbie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Converted

Help for a Jeep newbie

Hi guys,

I can't take any more of the 10MPG in my Bronco. I found an '89 Wrangler for $3950. Is this a good or bad year? What's a good motor for the wranglers, This one has the 4.2L? Anything special to check when I go see it later today? Thanks for the help, anyone want a Bronco, Cheap?

Converted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:53 AM
Addict

Re: Help for a Jeep newbie

Welcome to the madness. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The Wrangler sounds like a good score. However, if fuel mileage is a concern, you might want to look at a '90 or later Wrangler. These are fuel injected and should get better mileage than the older, carbed models.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Converted

Thanks, What do you think the 4.2 with a carb will get. It all looks stock, including the tires on alloy rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Addict

This is a really a shot in the dark, but it might get 15-16mpg. It may actually be a little more or less depending on how healthy the engine is. Of course, as you add larger wheels/tires, deeper gearing and bolt on some stuff that will add weight, you can expect the mileage to drop.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:51 AM
jersey89yj

Don't expect much more than 10mpg from an '89 with the 4.2L. I have one. You might get 12mpg if your lucky. I get about 10mpg with 33's, Weber 32/36, TR upgrade and full Borla Exaust. Also, if you buy the '89 and it's a 5 speed, make sure it does not have the Peugeot trans. It is a very poor transmission and is very expensive to fix.
JT
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:56 AM

Two primary things to consider...

1) Does it have the Peugot BA 10/5 or Aisin AX-15 transmission? Models manufactured before 03/89 had the Peugot tranny. Stay away from it. It is identified by a seam running along the length of the bottom where it is bolted together. The seam on the AX-15 runs across the tranny and has an "intermediate plate".

2) If it still has the BBD carb (stock), it will probably not get that great a gas mileage. Worse, it will probably run like crap soon if it doesn't already. On the bright side, there is an easy fix to this one... a Weber carb: bolt-on-and-forget simplicity and great driveability and gas mileage. Had one on my '87 with the 258 before I did the 4.0 head conversion and I consistently got 17-18 mpg with 31" tires (and I don't have a feather foot[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). A new Weber will run you about 350-400.

The price sounds pretty decent, but take a real strong look at the condition of the vehicle. Have somebody look it over if you don't feel confident about what to check.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Way Outta Control

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

anyone want a Bronco, Cheap?

<hr></blockquote>

Yep! Me! But it'd have to be awfull cheap cuz' I'm retired.. and it'd have to have an automatic transmission.. and I'd need to drive it home... and then I'd have to explain to the wife, and then I'd need a divorce lawyer, and then I'd need to explain that to the kids...

Humm... it may not be worth it.

Please completly fill out your profile so we know who we're talkin' to.. what type of vehicle you have, etc. It does help when we attempt to give opinions cloaked in advice statements! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But in all seriousness my old 85 Bronco was a GREAT vehicle. I loved it till the straight six threw a rod and piston through the block. That was exciting... And you're correct that it did get horrible gas mileage... and always ran way too rich. That year Ford was trying to perfect the feed back carb... (can you Jeepers say "BBD" [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]) But I loved it none the less! You can't beat ol' american iron...

If you're really concerned about MPG have you considered fuel injecting the engine?

EFI should give you some good gains for far less total costs than dumping the Bronco and replacing it wth a Jeep. I believe Howell Systems does make a system for the FOMOCO engines and there are other ways to accomplish EFI on that engine... you just gotta be a little daring and plunge in. A thousand dollars here and a thousand dollars there and pretty soon you're talkin' real money.

Were it me, and the Bronco was in decent shape... I'd keep it, fuel inject it, and run it into the ground... rebuild it and start all over again.

Oh my heck I miss my ol' Bronco.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

jersey89YJ, I'm from bergen county...saddle brook to be exact....what about you?

-remy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Leve, we are learning more and more about you, Bronco envy/regrets? Didn't they teach you to keep that stuff quiet at moderator school [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode