Ring and Pinion gear install? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Ring and Pinion gear install?

I would like todo the ring and pinion install on my front and rear axles to save some cash, what kind of special tools do I need and is it as difficult as its made out to be? Or should I have it done?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:10 AM

Re: Ring and Pinion gear install?

The installation itself is actuall fairly easy and straight forward, it's the accuracy of the setup that is important. you must pay close attention to detail when setting all of the variables. This insures a strong diff that will last. Check out Randy's R & P.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.ring-pinion.com>www.ring-pinion.com</a>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tobe honest....IF i were you....i wouldnt do the rear, but you can try the front if you really wanna save some cash. Reasoning is that your rear axle is spinning fast on the highway and ALWAYS under load...whereas your front axle is usually only used at low speeds, where a perfect setup isnt totally necessary, and without catastrophic failure. You'll need a good investment of tools...unless you already have them, including a dial indicator, a torque wrench, instructions, etc.

good luck!
-remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

after some reading I was leaning tward having it done and maybe some other time trying to do gears [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you do decide to do it yourself, do yourself a favor and either have access to a lift or take the time to remove the axle from the vehicle. It is a real huge PITA to lay under a vehicle and do precision work like this. You need it at eye level, and not eye level laying on your back!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:01 PM

There's no reason why you can't do it yourself, just make sure you get the right tools and take your time. You'll definately need a dial indicator and in-lbs torque wrench. also pullers to get the bearings off. A press is nice and saves a lot of time, but it can be done withous one - just gotta be carefull.
I'm sure if you post pics of your pattern, the gear experts on here will help you out like they did for me.
The key is to be patient and don't stop until it's right. I've got about 12 hours in my first one (the rear) but the front only took a couple of hours. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 05:06 PM

What do most shops charge for a ring and pinion install? Per axle?

How long should it take the average mechanic how has never done a ring and pinion install before?

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode