Trac Lock clutch replacement??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Trac Lock clutch replacement???

I am thinking about switching to 1 piece shafts in my rear end, and getting a set of 4.10s at the same time. I have never done much differential work so i figure that I will have a shop do the work.
I have a AMC 20 rear w/ trac lock. I was thinking that I should have them put in new clutches in the trac lock diffrential while they are in the rear end. What do you think? Will this help me gain some traction, or is it point less, it will still be a LS. I dont want a locker just yet.

What do you think? The trac lock seems to work fine now, but I guess it wont last long. Shouuld I order the new disc set, I think they are only like $50, might be a good idea while he is in their?

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Trac Lock clutch replacement???

Might I ask why you're not ready for a locker yet? Just curious since now would be a great time to plop one in if you're having the gears redone.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Addict

Tony-
Read your gear ratio post also. You'll be much happier with the 4.09 gears with your 6cyl. I have the same set up in my CJ. I can cruise 65 comfortably on the road on 33s, it'll go faster but I don't push it. It's not a pig off the line either but it is a Jeep with oversize tires still. The 1 peice axles are a good upgrade, piece of mind off road. As long as you're going to have someone tear into the diff I'd say spend the $ on the clutch kit. The only thing I think you might also need is a new carrier for your front 30. I think the carrier break is between 3.54 and 3.73, so if you have 3.54s currently you'll need a 3.73 and up carrier for your 4.09 gears.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

I was told that it will cost me about $200 for each differential to do the gear swap. Does this sound about right? So that + ~$300 for the gear sets, $50 for the carrier for the dana30, $300 for the 1 piece axles for the model 20, $50 for the trac lock clutch disc set for the 20(or $300 for a lock right and open diff carrier), plus installation labor costs on everything other then the gears. That comes to well over $1000. Now that I think about that, couldn't I find a set of 44s for quite a bit less then that with a higher gear ratio?

What are your thoughts on that? I am trying to save money and have a fairly strong rig, I dont need Dana 60s or anything that extreme but I want a drive train that will stand up to a 360 and a heavy right foot.

Thansk for the replies,
Tony
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

So I get to thinking about this, bummed that the search is down, what if I....

Scrap my current axles, put no money into them.

1. Find a Dana 44 with higher gears then what I have (hopefully 4.10s) that is the same width as my Model 20 HD and put it in the front.

2. Use the Model 20 HD out of my 80 cherokee (with the 1 pice shafts and stronger housing) in the rear. Then match the gear ratio to the 44, and put in a lock right.

How does this sound?

My questions are:
-What vehicle would be a good donor for my front axle, dana 44, with a low gear ratio
-what would I do about steering, I want to keep this as simple as possible. Is their a 44 with a steering system that is compatible with my CJ 5? Or can the parts be converted?
-What about front brakes? Is their a 44 that can be easily made to work in this area?
-What about the bolt patterns, I would rather not buy new wheels I am very limited on funds, could I either switch the Dana 30 rotors to the 44 or something to that extent? or maybe get a machine shop to fill and redrill the 44 rotors. The model 20 on my CJ and the Model 20 HD on the cherokee are mostly inerchangable? Could I put the rotors for the CJ 20 on the cherokee 20, to make it a 5 lug instead of 6?

What do you think? Advice is needed. What rigs 44 would work best for this swap. I dont plan on rushing into this, just maybe getting the parts together over the next few months then putting it all together. Please keep in mind that I am a college student on a limited budget, and I am by no means a expert mechanic, I like to think that I can usually figure most things out w/ a good repair manual, but their are not to many books on this kind of stuff. You guys seem to be my best resource. So I guess what I am trying to say is if this is going to cost me thousands or mean my Jeep will be on blocks for a year, then I wont do it.

What do you think

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode