What I should I do about AXELS? What would you do - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

What I should I do about AXELS? What would you do

I am really not in dire need right now for new axels but I want to put my options out to you and see what you think. Right now, I have the stock Model 20 in the rear with a locker and then the Dana 30 in the front. I would kind of like to get locker the front end if funds become available. This is my predicament I have Dana 44ís out of a Waggy. I would love to slap those underneath but I do not really like the wide look so I would want to get the shortened. How much does that usually run? I think that I could shorten the axel itself but not the shafts. How much and where can you get the axel shafts shortened? As if I said I have, the Model 20 with a locker haven replaced the 2 pieces yet 1) because they havenít broke 2) I donít want to spend the money if I am going to us the 44ís. The Model 20 is not that bad of an Axels if I get one-piece axels shafts and truss it up. So I hear. Isnít the carrier bigger than a 44? Is the Dana 30 in the front crap or would that be worth throwing a locker and bigger hubs on and keeping for a while. Oh, yeah I donít know what the gear ratio of the 44ís is but I like the 4:10 that are what I have now. I am working on limited funds. I am going to be running at 360 and T-18 to give you and idea of the torque and horsepower I will have. So what would you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What I should I do about AXELS? What would you do

without turning this into a amc-20 vs d-44 thread...
I'd toss i pc shafts into the amc 20 rear ,cut down the waggie d-44 for the front, and convert the front to 5 0n 5.5 useing junkyard parts. I ran an amc 20 in the rear of my jeep for years with a detroit and 4.56 gears with a scout d-44 in the front.. I think its a solid set up. shortening the rear d-44 ...er... more than you want to spend.. its cheaper to get a different axle..
I ran that set up with a very healthy v-8 for a couple years with 35" boggers..but i did eventally bend a moser axleshaft in the rear.(you can break anything if you try hard enough)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

everything depends on one thing...<font color=red>HOW HEAVY YOUR RIGHT FOOT IS..</font color=red>like elusive said there isn't anything wrong with a 30/20 set up...as long as you use your head[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and when you get the money cut down the 44 front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 09:41 PM

I am also running the AMC20/Dana30 combo in my CJ at the time and have been wondering the same things. I have a 258/T18 now, but I have a 360 laying around that I figure I might as well slap in the CJ, why not. That 360 is in a cherokee, which has a dana 44 front, and a AMC20 HD in the rear. I thought about swapping the rear axle into the CJ, because it has 1 piece shafts and stronger housings, then finding a waggy 44 to match the bolt pattern. But that is going to cost mucho $$. (cutting axles, new 44, new wheels). I would have a pretty strong set up.

I think I am going to put 1 piece shafts in the 20, maybe truss it, and live with it.

What about the 30? How strong is it? I think that I would break something being an idiot and doing something stupid, like bun outs on pavement. I dont do alot of hard core rock crawlin' so I dont see the 30 being a prob. WHat do you all think?

-Tony
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know a guy with and 700hp nitrous fed 350 chevy in his CJ7 with 20" wide STU comp cut paddles on a a D20 with 2 piece axles. Running low 4's at the sand drags, 2 seasons and no problems yet.
??go figure??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 01:17 AM

I believe that the stress caused by spinning tires and them sudenly "hooking up" on a hard surface, pavement or rock, is what causes the AMC 20 2 piece axle to fail. If he is only running on sand he probably never has this abrupt hook up when he gains traction, hell with 700 hp he probably never gets traction. Those tires must screem, that would be something to see.

Tony
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:38 AM

if your gona to run the 2 piece for awhile make sure the nut is torked down good a little over what it should be and keep checking it ... if it gets loose it will spin the hub.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:26 AM

To answer your cost question, I recently had two D44s narrowed. It cost me $150 per side to narrow the housings and because of my set-up I only needed one side done on each. It cost $75 to have each axle shortened and re-splined.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your probably right about the "hooking up", Tony. He does twist up a lot of driveshafts though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with the above posts, keep the 20 with one piecers and either buy some decent shafts for the 30 (which are 44 shafts) or shorten the 44 when you can afford it. personally I would just spend some money on decent front shafts for the 30.

On the same note, who has shortend a HD 20?

I have one I want to shorten and place my Summers bros 1 piece shafts in. My plan is to shorten the axle tubes to the correct lenght for the summers axles shafts and use Dana 35(?) flanges in place of 20 flanges, I think it was the 30 or the 35 that had better flanges.

My question is how to make the outter bearings fit once the tubes are cut, do you have to machine them out, or is there an easier way to do this?

kerryp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode