EGR Valve - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

EGR Valve

This is in addition to my previous post. When the engine is at temp, I could hear what I thought was a vacuum leak, and found my way to the EGR valve. I cooled it down and took it off. While looking it over I noticed that it has two slots on the body. Reinstalled it, fired it up, put my hand down by it, and low and behold, when the EGR came open huge amounts of ambient air were being sucked in! Is this normal? I thought the EGR was supposed to be a closed system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: EGR Valve

Take a close look at the EGR. It's a pintle valve that opens an becomes common with the mainfold vacuum at about 41 to 45mph. Before this speed the EGR should be closed and not dumping vacuum. Take the EGR out again and actuate it with either vacuum or voltage (depending on which you have) and you'll see that pintle move. If it's carboned up, all black, then clean it up with spray carb cleaner (74cents a can at Wal-Mart) and maybe some scotch brite. THen look at the manifold where the EGR mounts. You'lll likely have to clean up the mating surface.

If the EGR is dumping vacuum at idle after you clean 'er up... it should be replaced.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 07:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have looked at the EGR closely. I don't think the pintle os leaking vac, it seems to operate correctly. However, like I said in my first post, there are two slots on the body that are sucking air. I'm going to take a picture of it today and will post it so that you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Way Outta Control

Perhaps I'm a little confused here. A little clarification is needed to help me understand the full scope of the problem. The EGR opens and provides a common path for the gasses to be re-circulated, hence the name. Those two "slots" are plenums that you're viewing are likely one going to the common intake manifold and one siphoning off spent gasses from the exaust.

So when you speak of the slots sucking air are:

a. You watching the action with the EGR valve off the maifold?
b. You watching the action with the EGR mounted to the manifold?

If the common intake manifold plenum is sucking air and dumping vacuum at idle when the EGR is installed then the leak has got to be fixed. The problem would lay in only one of two places:

a. The EGR valve is bad, it's stuck open a little bit or not able to close.
b. IF the EGR gasket is compromised it can also let air transfer between the two pleneums.

Is it possible the EGR-TVS is installed backwards?

In either case, at idle, the common manifold vacuum should not be dumped by any part of the EGR assembly, pintle or gasket. It's got to remain intact or rough idle will be the result as the vacuum sucks air and leans out the mixture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode