Cherokee transmssion into a CJ7? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cherokee transmssion into a CJ7?

Sorry the last post was blank. I found an 88 cherokee with a 4.0L (knocks) for sale for $300. It has an Auto. My Auto is going. Will the Auto from the Cherokee work in my CJ7? Does anyone know if it is a 904 or 909 or 999 transmission?

Thanks

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 03:15 PM

Re: Cherokee transmssion into a CJ7?

Yes it will bolt right up to your motor. More than likely it is the 999 behind a 4.0 L. You should have the 904 in your CJ. The 909 is a 904 with a lock-up torque converter. Thats the only diff there. You may have issues with the trans case the 88 XJ uses the NP207 or NP231 while your CJ uses the D300 I think. I'm not sure which spline count the 300 uses but the 207 uses a 19 spline and some early 231's did to. The later used a 21 spline count for the input on the T-cases.
GP'n
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 06:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My '83 CJ-7 came with the TF-999. I think the 904's just came in the 4 cyl. CJ's, but deciphering them is a whole nother story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:51 PM

Actually I don't think that 4.0 liter cherokes ever used a chrylser tranny ( mabye an electronic version on the 98 or newer ones) but the 87 to 98 ones use a four speed aw4 tranny. It is made by the same guys that make the ax-15 ax-5 trannys.From what i've heard they are pretty stout, not as strong as a 727 but a lot stronger than a 999 or a 909. My dads 88 cheroke with a 4.0 liter and aw4 has 200,000 miles on it and the tranny still shifts like its new. I'm not sure if it is the same length as a 904 you might have to modify you driveshafts. Go asked the guys on the cherokee board about the length , spline count a durability they will know for sure. Hope this helps.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

I am pretty sure the XJ has an AW-4. These are great trannys. It may be a little long and it also has a O-D. You may have to rig some kind of relay box to control the lock up. There was some mention of it on the "Pop-up Of the Rubicon" board. Do a search for AW-4 there. You might as well make use of the head while you are in there. These heads arn't quite as good as the '91 and newer ones, but are still far better than your 4.2's. The fuel injection is also doable, but will take a little more effort than an HO engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode