CJ7 Starting Problem/Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

CJ7 Starting Problem/Question

I have an '84 CJ7 (258) that recently started having an intermittent (1 out of 10 starts) problem starting. Occaisionally when starting the starter seems to hang (sounds like it does not rotate completely), and the battery acts as if dead. Turning the key off and waiting for a few seconds and trying again it does eventually turn over. The channels on my radio are all reset just as if I had removed the battery. The battery was tested and it is strong and takes a charge. I installed a new selenoid but that has not made a difference. The starter is only about one year old and the T-5 tranny is a rebuilt 8 months ago. Not sure where else to look. I cannot duplicate the problem on demand so it is a matter of sheer chance.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: CJ7 Starting Problem/Question

i would clean the terminals, check all connections, and make sure your main grounds are good. i would then drive down to the local parts house and have them put a test on the battery. i recently had a battery go bad on me, and it acted the same as yours. at times it would start fine, and other times it would just drag when trying to start. it would also reset my radio, just like you had unhooked the battery. a load test at the local discount auto, showed a cell shorting out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode