does this sound like a seleniod problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

does this sound like a seleniod problem?

a few weeks ago i was having problems with the starter not disengaging after i let off the key. it was decided then that the problem was most likely in the seleniod or the switch in the column. last night after a bit for moderate wheeling, when i went to shut it off, it just kept running. the radio and all dash lights and gauges went dead, but the engine never missed a beat. so i stood on the brakes and popped the clutch to kill the engine. immediately afer that i started it again to make sure it would start, it did with no problem. so this morning, when i went to start it, it turned over fine, but no fire from the engine. after about a minute of cranking, it still never even fired once. it has always fired up immediately (then it usually stalls). so does this sound like a seleniod problem still? i am going to replace that anyway, but that isn't the problem, i'm not sure where to go next. what do you all think?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: does this sound like a seleniod problem?

I've had all these problems but none were related to each other [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] My starter would stick but that was after mudidng and filling the drive gear up with mud so it wouldn't retract. Engine run on after installing MSD, fixed with a diode installed in the small white wire off the alternator, and No Fire from loose wires to coil and Distributor on several occansions. but to have all them happen seeming at once like this, I'd say a short circuit in the Solenoid could be a good place to look. check the wires coming from the ignition module to the coild anto the distribtor first just to see if one of these didn't happen to wiggle loose just out of coinsidence. then start test lighting everything, from the coil to the Solenoid to the starter, etc.

Brent
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you've got gremmlins in your engine.

The run-on of the starter definitely sounds like a solenoid problem. Had the same thing happen last year, replaced the solenoid and it was all better. As for the rest of your problems, replace the solenoid and see what happens, then find a good exorcist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THE NOTORIOUS AMC GREMLINS! hahahahah

-remy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Way Outta Control

You haven't described "run on" as that is when the engine diesels, for what ever reason.. here I assume you're describing the engine running normally.

The problem is not in the starter solenoid. It only is in use when you are trying to START the engine. The way the engine is turned off is by removing all voltage to the ignition system. That's don purely by the igntion swithc.

My guess.. the ignition switch is out of alingment or flakey. When you popped the clutch to kill the eninge the ignition swithc vibrated enough to kill the engine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

leve, i'm not sure what you were saying. the run on is the engine running and never missing a beat...as if nothing happened. i was thinking that it wasn't in the key b/c it still switched all the dash lights etc off.

and then the engine died when i popped the clutch b/c i was standing on the brakes and stalled it....don't think that it had anything to do with any sort of vibration!

anyone think that it could have anythinng to do with my alternator? i did swap in a 120 amp one a few months back?

thanks all
shawn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 05:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Leve was just saying "run on" is usually meant for a condition where the engine continues to spin....but not really "run". Just trying to clear up some terminolgy so we are all talking apples and apples.

I bet the starter needs replaced. If it's staying engaged, that's a problem inside the starter.

That's all I have to offer...... good luck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Way Outta Control

If the starter motor is not disengaging when the ignition switch is rotated back to RUN from START then yes, it could be a bad starter... or it could still be the ignition swtich.

Also what you're thinking may be a starter solenoid may be a bendix problem or an overrun clutch problem... both items are located in the starter housing and a rebuilt/new starter should take care of that problem.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

ok....the starter was just replaced maybe 3 months ago, but i know that could still be the problem. but this new problem of refusing to STOP running is puzzling and makes me think that i have other (maybe bigger) problems. i just put on a new seleniod...figured it was an easy thing to try....and it did not help. i am getting no fire from the coil. so i guess that is a good place to start. should i have 12V across the 2 posts going into the coil with the key turned all the way on? i will throw on a spare coil tom and try that. the ignition module was replaced about a year ago, but i guess that could be it again. one of my big concerns is that the one red wire that comes out of the coil and then travels along the firewall to the ignition module gets really hot when the key is turned on, i almost can't keep my hand on it. i had asked TR about this before and he said it was normal....i know he is almost always right, so i am hoping so in this case! so i am still open for suggestions.

thanks all
shawn
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 09:28 PM
Way Outta Control

Ok, if the engine's running... and the igniton switch is OFF and the the other accessories are off.. .then the ONLY source of voltage for the engine's ignition is from the ignition switch. There's many circuits switched by that switch and it's not uncommon for the switch to be out of adjustment or flakey. Check it out!

Take a look <a target="_blank" href=http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000254>HERE</a>. It will help de-mystify the ignition swtich... I saved it to disk for future refrence... I'd suggest everyone do the same. It's pretty valuable information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode