New to Jeeps, looking for YJ information..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to Jeeps, looking for YJ information.....

I'm looking for a decent YJ setup...from what I have read, the 4.2L is far inferior to the 4.0L....mainly b/c the 4.2 was mated to the Pugot transmission. Is this accurate? Also, since I want EFI, which years was the 4.0L available? One more question, if I get stuck into buying a 4-cyl (for $$ reasons) is one 4cyl setup better than another? I want a 5-speed & I noticed there were a few different transmissions that the 4-cyl came w/. Thx alot..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New to Jeeps, looking for YJ information.....

I have a 4 cylinder 89YJ it's great and it has TB Injection. So far it can push my 33" tires just fine with the 5 speed adn 4:10 gear combo that it comes stock with
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 12:58 PM
Old Hand

The 4.0 was first available in '91. It is far more powerfull than the 4 cylinder. 180 hp vs 120 hp or so. The peugot tranny sucks. The 999 auto is also good. I have the auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldnt say far more powerfull, I have driven a 4cyl and a 6 cyl, both with 33" tires. Not much difference. Sure some, but not much.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 03:12 PM

I own a 89 Ĺ wrangler. My 4.2 runs great. But it has $hity gas mileage and I only run it on 92 octane. I am not an expert but this is my opinon.

The 89 1/2 up wranglers have the AX15 even with the 4.2. The 4.2 is a great motor. it has a longer stroke then the 4.0. It has more low-end grunt. But, itís worthless over 3k rpm.
Itís carbureted with computer and everyone hates the carb. But there is allot of info on the web on how to make it work. Furthermore, even if the computer is all fowled up, you can still coax the thing to run well enough to get you home. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Some might argue that is the normal operating state of the engine.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But, buying a jeep with the 4.0 already in it is probably the cheapest way to go. The 4.2 can be modified with the 4.0 head and the MPI, for around $2000 in parts, so figure that into your cost. Iím still thinking about modifying mine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thx...that answered my questions. I think I'll shoot for the 4.0, but I won't be crushed if I end up w/ the 2.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode