Kinda O/T - Whats a lot of miles on a 454 Chevy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kinda O/T - Whats a lot of miles on a 454 Chevy?

I saw a 1997(?) chevy Quad Cab Dually for sale over the weekend. Its selling for like $9500. This is in my price range if I trade my 97 TJ (daily driver)in. Fully loaded, Air, etc, etc. Looks really clean. Its got 105k miles on it and I was just wondering how long these motors "normally" last.

Most of the other trucks that I see in the paper are at least $15k plus and this one caught my eye cause it was under $10k.

The TJ is almost paid off (couple more payments) and I don't want to have another 5 year loan cause the jeep chick and i are looking at houses. I wouldn't mind getting something used that will last me another 5 years+ and than consider buying something else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Kinda O/T - Whats a lot of miles on a 454 Chevy?

It depends greatly on how hard it was used. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with that kind of mileage IF it had proper maintenance. I'd assert that one used to its max towing capacity constantly, but taken good care of will far outlast one used for commuting but never maintainted. Is it 4wd? If it is, you're probably gonna be looking at some CV shafts pretty soon. Even if it is 2wd, check the front end for tightness--idler arms, ball joints--these are pretty notorious on IFS Chevys, although since it is a 1 ton, that should be minimized. Easiest way to check if you're serious about the truck is to jack up the front end, get underneath, and have someone try to wiggle the tires, up and down and side to side. The trannies are pretty strong in those--but obviously, check the fluid, and see how it shifts. If you drive it, it should shift well, and evenly, with no great rise in RPMs when shifting under hard acceleration.

I'm really wondering about that price though--As I figure it, a 2wd loaded 97 Crew Cab Dually with 454 and 105K should run in the neighborhood of $17,000 from a private party. If it's 4wd, figure closer to $19. Realistic purchase price is probably around $15 or so. Why is he so low on price? Something's gotta be wrong. Its value is much higher than his price, unless there is something seriously wrong. I checked kelly blue book <a target="_blank" href=http://www.kbb.com>http://www.kbb.com</a> and I called work to get a price on it. He's way LOW LOW LOW. Now obviously, if he just doesn't have a clue, BUY IT! But I'd check that puppy over really closely to see what is the matter with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that Farm Jeep is right there has got to be a reason that this guy is selling this truck at a price so far below market value. But for some reason if it checks out mechanically and also checks out for a clear title it would be a great deal. I do know a couple of guys with 454s and they both have lots of miles on them 1 over 200,000 miles and the other over 250,000s with no major problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What? the 454 Boat Anchor is a notorious Camshaft eater. "Normally, the cams began to be affected by wear ~60,000 miles, depending on maintenance. A built 454 with higher revs and valve springs could expect ~30,000 out of a cam....maybe less. Thats why a company developed an oiling system that is pressurized and squirts oil DIRECTLY onto every lobe of the cam....they actually last that way....

-Remy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode