Tips for replacing rear main in 302??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Tips for replacing rear main in 302???

My road trip today evidently woke a sleeping giant. When I first installed the 302 it had some leaking. No biggie....I've been tolerating the drips. Well today when I stopped for gas..... UGH!! Looks like I'm driving the exxon valdez!!! So I guess I'm going to have to replace the rear main, and it's scaring the hell outta me. I've never had much luck, when dealing with cranks/bearing caps.

Initially I was told it was a two piece seal, when I put the motor in. But I'm not confident in that answer. It could be either one (not that I know the difference).

So... anyway.. to make a long story longer... Any advice to replacing the main seal?? It's gonna happen.... but I'd like to get my head straight before diving in.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 12:34 AM

Re: Tips for replacing rear main in 302???

what year is your 302. that should be a good indicator as to what rear main seal you have. If you do have the one piece seal it is easy to do. the only thing you have to remove is the tranny.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

That's the main problem. I installed a re-man. I'm not sure they gave me the year I requested. I'm sure I asked for an 88 or whatever to get the one piecer. But I know when we were installing it I was told I have the two piece. So now I'm trying to prepare for both. I'm going to deal with whatever is in there... but just wanted some pointers

Hey Lumpy.. how do you like them SSRs?? I'm shopping for a set right now....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 02:00 AM

I like the ssr's alot they ride nice on the road. They are not a serious offroad tire at all. When I go springover I will buy boggers or sx's. We went mudding last weekend and Adam poked a hole in his 35ssr's in a root! Who did you buy the 302 from, I bought an advanced auto parts rebuilt 258 six months ago and it is junk(blowby like a bitch). So I am putting a 5.0 in my jeep like I had planned on in the first place.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

My reman is from PartsAmerica, it came with a one year warrantee. They closed the store about three months after I bought my engine. I haven't had any serious problems in four years. The piston wrist pins make a little noise at start up, but it's tolerable. I'd like to NOT have the noise, but until I get the urge to rebuild the pins, I'll live with it. Maybe if my engine explodes I'll put in a 351W.

If you are going 5.0, do yourself a favor and get you a complete car. Steal all you can. I'm still shopping for a donor. I went "old skool" v-belts and I wanna swap to serpentine. Oh... and the EFI... I gotta have that. Just haven't stumbled onto the right deal yet.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 04:27 PM

Simple way to tell if they gave you the right motor....Are there roller lifters in the valley or flat tappet. All the roller motors have to be the newer block because the lifter bores in the older block will not acept factory rollers. All the newer blocks are 1 peice seals.

How did the 5.0 swap work out for you? I'm still breaking mine in(or atleast still breaking it).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

My swap worked out fine. I LOVE IT. I just wish I knew about this BBS when I did it. I would have went with the 5.0 and EFI. I want all the accessories and serpentine belt. The reman motor has worked flawless. My home made frame mounts turned out GREAT!! And it starts IMMEDIATELY every time. No unusual noises. And now that I have a real engine in there..... I can park on a hill and it won't roll!! The old 258 wouldn't hold anything back.... jeep would... chug chug chug.... down hill!! It's just one of those things...doesn't sound or look like anything special....but it makes me smile everytime!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:45 PM

If you want to swap to the serpentine belts, Look for a setup from an 88 or 89 fullsize(grand marquis, ltd...) because the setup uses 2 belts. One for the P.S./alt./water pump, and a second for the A.C./air pump. The mustang single belt is harder to modify if you want to eliminate the smog pump, A.C. or power steering. Also the full size cars of those years used a standard rotation water pump and fan so finding replacements will be easier.
Another advantage of the 2 belt set up is you can use the full size cars A.C. compressor for on board air with it's own belt(less stress on the other accessories when you engage the clutch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode