Dana 60 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Dana 60

Anyone know of any sights that show cutting down of a Dana 60 front and rear? I wont to cut them down to 60"s and put them under a CJ-7!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Dana 60

In the Jeep tech section of this site are some articles on installing dana 44s and 60s. This article is about a do it yourself narrowing of a Dana 44. Should be about the same process. http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/co...jd44front.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 10:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

cutting down the rear 60 isn't easy.. in fact.. I dont know anyone that hes narrowed a d-60.d-70, or 14 bolt rear axle. I do know it has been done though. jeepgod narrowed his semi-floating 60 rear axle...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 11:03 AM
Can't Get Enough

I am in the process of cutting 2 front GM 60's now, for my 2 '83 CJ-7's. I picked up 1 complete 60 axle, less hubs and rotors, and another housing that only went out to the steering knuckles. I figured to chop them both now and worry about getting the rest of the stuff later.

I did a search on the POR board about lengths. I guess the stock GM 60 is about 69 inches wms to wms. An early Dodge 60 is about 67 inches wms to wms. The long side axle shaft on a Dodge is the same as the GM. Only the short side is different. Then I went to the local Driveline service of Colorado Springs to order my inner axles. I bought 2 short side shafts from a Dodge (35 spline). I cut the short side down to match, which ended up about 1 7/8 inches shorter. From here I measured the distance from the center bolt hole in the casting over to where I wanted my other purch, and marked the location. About 27 1/2 inches (the width of my CJ frame). Then I measured my short side out, and matched that length to the long side. This is where I chopped the long side. Now I only have to get the long side cut and re-splined. Before I welded my long side purch on I wanted to rotate the pinion up about 3-4 degrees. I ground down the cast in purch on the diff about 1/8 inch in the back and flattened it with a large flat file (using my angle guage) it worked out 4 degrees. Then I welded the long side purch on at the same angle. I should note, before I cut tho C ends off the tubes, I marked them for caster. When I re-installed them, I added the 4 degrees that I tapered the spring mounts to. I also tack-welded them so I could easily rotate them when on the alignment rack for caster.

This is the same method I used to shorten my SOA 44's from a Chevy that are in there now. I used a Wagoneer's short side shaft. I worked out perfect. The front 44 now is at 62 inches wide, which I think the 60 will also be at.

There is a big difference in prices. I dropped $400 for the 35 spline outers with the Warn 35 spline hubs. The short inner shafts cost about $90. ea. and $80 each for the long side shafts. I got the inner shafts at cost, about 1/2 off.

For the rear? I have never shortened a rear. Here is a link that may help.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2000/highpiniond60rear/highpiniond60rear.cfm>http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2000/highpiniond60rear/highpiniond60rear.cfm</a>

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why a 60? if your going to run them under a cj-7 with stock width then you don't need a dana 60 cause your not going to be able to fit tires larger then 36". Don't waste a good axle by cutting it up, you should find a dana 44, cheaper on your wallet and you won't drag it around as much either. I just don't understand why people get these just to cut them up? If you need a Dana 60 it's because your running 38"+ tires AND you need the extra width for stablity. Sorry if I'm sounding like an @sshole but the only Front 60's I can find run around $1200 and it kills me to see someone cutting one up that doesn't really need it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 11:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

I kinda disagree. A stock wide track CJ is 54.5 inches wide, that is 14 1/2 inches wider! And 18 1/2 inches wider than a narrow track! Chopping them down to 62 is perfect. I live in an area that dosn't always support that kind of width. Stability dosn't become an issue unless you lift your jeep too high. With a detroit in the front and large tires the extra cost of the alloy shafts just dosn't seem feasable to me. I can probably build a 60 with a detroit for the same price as a 44 (which I already have) with alloy shafts. I plan on running 37's and I am pretty sure they will fit with no problem. My projected cost including the detroit will be about $1700.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 08:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

what?? your telling a guy with a built chevy 350 and 36" tires that he doesnt need a d-60? come on.. I cut down a few front 60's for the front and there just isnt a better axle to swap in the front a jeep. I like to cut them to 63" and use 10" rims with 38's.. I truley believe thats the ulimate set up for cj's and yj's.
sorry you cant find a 60.. i have 2 here.. and I know where 2 more are..(yes all front)... they really arent that rare.. you just have to know where to look..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Nickmil

As far as availability goes a lot of it depends on location. Those of you in the midwest and wrong coast [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (East) have an easier time finding things like dana 60 fronts because of your rust issues. On the RIGHT coast [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] (or is it left coast?) it can be a whole different ballgame because our rigs last so much longer because they don't salt the roads here. Consequently these items are still under running and driving vehicles so finding good used building stock is harder to find and a lot more expensive. Around here AVERAGE price for a used Chev or Dodge Dana 60 front is $1200 without decent gear ratio or any kind of locker. Don't even get me started on a High pinion ford 60 value. Nickmil.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, around here the norm WAS Dana 44's with 35/36" tires and a well build V8, that was before everyone starting building monster. Even now a lot of people get away with 38's on a Dana 44. I'm sorry elusive but when your hammering it up slickrock with the tread smokin, I'd prefer full width anyday over narrowed axles.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 01:54 PM
mudracer

I have a friend in IL who cuts down axles, if you're looking for someone to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode