locker&snow-CJDAVE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

locker&snow-CJDAVE

Must have been on the old BB that you said that lockers on snow is deadly.
I would like to know more on your thoughts. I have drove many mile in a 1 Ton
dodge van survey truck with Linited Slip but that a long heavy truck-8000 Lbs
loaded.That was mid 70s. You had to stay right on top of it and no fast move with foot or hand. Liker to put a locker in my CJ-8 but have a 26 mi drive to work with some times snow and or ice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 10:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: locker&snow-CJDAVE

We have spent a lot of time scheming on what to do about making a Jeep that we could drive in snow on steep mountain roads without killing ourselves. We HAVE a Grand Cherokee with the 242 (Select-Trac) case that is positively SUPERIOR in snow, but we have always wanted a regular Jeep. Up here, people rarely drive their SWB Jeeps in snow, because they switch ends too easy in 2WD, and push out on the corners in 4WD. Either way, you go over the edge, and that is real hard on old clothes.
We finally decided to transplant a full-time case into a TJ, no matter what the cost, but then ran across a CJ with Quadra-Trac drive. We are presently re-doing the CJ, and will be running a modified Quadra-Trac open center differential with vacuum lock-up on demand.
You were able to drive OK with the van because it was very long wheelbase, and had good weight distribution. We are making a lot of changes to get weight in the rear of the CJ to balance better, including a dual gas can rack and heavy rear bumper. We have the V8 model, so the engine is back just a tad farther than the 258 would be. The main thing is that we can drive all four totally unlocked. That seems to be the key to it. You should ride with me in our Grand Cherokee as I go out and around the stuck (don't make me name them...it will cause hard feelings) SUVs that people think are so darn good. We would never get away with having lockers in front, and in the rear it would be limited slip but no more than that. We need to stay "open" for good snow handling.

CJDave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-1999, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I will see if i can get into this deep enuff to get my foot in my mouth[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I agree with what you are saying. that van was a bear even with everything going for it.
I fine that even with our 84GW 208 tranfer case that I 'm better off in 2wheel
than 4Hi running down hiway at 55 to 65 MPH. If it steps out all you have to do is let a little off the gas and it will pull it's self back .You can stear a little with the foot feed ,try that with a locked diff.

I just not sure how this all works with a short wheel base. How i thank it works does not sound good. Last winter I drove the jeep slow and easy on ice and snow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 12:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Greg, A 208 transfer case is like zero effective in snow, since there is no open center differential. It is the same as the YJ & the TJ arrangement with no full-time drive. We knew that we could not live with that system at all, even in a big Jeep...it just has nothing going for it. Good heavy case...but not for snow. And while we are on cases....when we ordered our GC, I knew we could not use any of the torque-lock systems SINCE there IS no torque to speak of on ice and snow. It is like having an egg on the gas pedal.

CJDave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes you are right, the 208 is locked tight in eather 2WD or 4WD just like a
say 300 tranfer case.
BUT when I would try to run a little speed on a hiway on ice or snow in 4HI
it would try to drift in to other lanes and you could hit the gas and try to
pull it out which would not work {258-I-6} or let off the gas which did not work as it was like hitting front brakes. So I would run in 2HI Just like a 2x4 truck.
If it so bad your down to 30 to 40 mph 4HI works great.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Have I got my foot stuck in mouth yet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font color=red> I do under stand what you are doing. You have to have
some of your wheels free wheeling for the stablity. I have
been told how truck drivers would back a set of wheel brakes off on
trailers so the brakes would not work on that set of wheels so to
stable the trailer when the others brakes were used.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-1999, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have run several vehicles in the snow with rear traction aids, I find the limited slips better than the lockers cause on really low traction surfaces they will not lock up so one wheel will hold you on line. I have however played with my willys and a lincoin locker rear in the snow and find its not that bad, yeah it slides but all you have to do is anticipate the slide and compensate. it will always slide downhill so its not that hard to figure out. I would not want to do it offroad though cause I usually don't have the space to slide around before I hit something.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 01:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with CJDave about keeping it "open". Say you're at hunting camp between 8000-10000ft up in the mountains with fresh snow. Lonely two track logging road with sufficient off camber to get your heart pumping, and you're looking two hundred ft straight down onto treetops. Don't want any tires spinning here. With opens at least one tire per axle stays put in its track and there's not as big a chance of sliding off the mountain. Of course, chains work real nice here. The problem I've had with opens on snowy mountain roads however, is when you get one side in a 2ft ditch off the side of the trail, the other side is nice and high on the trail. The high side wheels spin effortlessly and you go nowhere. Well out comes the high lift jack and since its a CJ you jack it up and push it over. Those lower tires in the ditch will stay in the ditch, no matter how far back and forth you go. Question: What would happen in this case if you were to stop those upper wheels from spinning by taking a chain through the wheel and around the leaf spring? The wheels in the ditch would be forced to spin, but would this cause any damage to the drivetrain? What are your experiences with chains on limited slips and lockers? I'm not talking about the fast stuff, but off road. I already know from experience that on open snowy roads the SWB jeeps swap ends before you know whats happening and if you overcorrect the first time it leads to another overcorrection in the opposite direction and the fishtailing can be a nightmare. I always keep it under 40mph on packed snow and much slower on ice. Longer wheelbase is really the advantage here, Suburbans are the way to go on the road but when they get stuck off road in snow they're really stuck......

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 04:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can tell you what my uncle use to do. He would take a small log lay it across
both rear tires in front of them . Then chain it to both wheels. Then he drive over it unchain it put in front of the tires agin and chain it backup drive over it agin till he was out of what ever he was stuck in.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
A frind showed me how his dad would take a steel fence post lay it lenght
wise under a tire. This is after you jack up the truck. this will help keep the truck from sinking more. THEN you wire the post to the wheel and let the wheel walkup the post and as far as the wire will let you go them you got the reset the post and rewire it agin.We did this on a way overloaded 69 burb. 4x4 k10
Front wheels got thru but the back went to the frame. been there done that????
Both of these will only get you a foot or two at a time .
<font color=red> LS and chains. The above Dodge 1 ton van we would chain her up and you didnot want to stand behind it.It would bury you. Even in a -30 North Dakota
winter and knee deep snow it would fine rocks to throw at you.When I would push
it to get it started when it started to roll I would just srep up on the bumper
to get out line of fire.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 07:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the easy way to do that is to get a cutting brake from a vw dune buggy, then just apply the e-brake on the high side to transfer power to the lower wheel.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 09:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have thought about having individual rear brakes for years, and MAY split the e-brake on the SNOJEEP just exactly for the reason that you mentioned. I rarely need to do that in front, but the rear....yes. It's no big deal to do that, and there have been times that it would have saved some more drastic measures. I have some chains that will strip mine if need be, as was mentioned...down to rock...but who wants to throw the iron if you don't have to. It's nice and warm in the cab. This has been a good exchange on snow Jeeping. Very informative and valuable.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode