O/T Engineering Job interview, any pointers ?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T Engineering Job interview, any pointers ??????

i have a job interview this thursday for a company that does engieering consulting and other stuff like failure analyisis...

im a junior mechanical engineering student and this is my first real interview for an internship.

so i'm looking for pointers from anyone here thats in engineering or technical fields. also...i've heard stories about some companyies that give technical tests during the interview? are these common.....im gonna be nervous enough and i dont need a test to make it worse!

any pointers help

thanks!
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T Engineering Job interview, any pointers ??????

I can't help you with the tech stuff, but do wear your nicest suit for the interview. If you don't have one, get one, you will need it anyway. Remember you are also interviewing them too....
Ricky...seeya...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 05:27 PM

If you haven't already, get as much information on the company as you can (services, history, locations, etc.), so you can ask some intelligent questions. Try to relate your knowledge of the company to projects/prior experience you may have had.
-OS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

total and complete honesty.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 06:52 PM
mboden

I am an Engineer and have interviewed and been interviewed a lot. A few things that help.

1. Be on time
2. Be Neat and clean.
3. Be Polite
4. Be Honest.
5. Research the company if you can. Be prepared to ask some open ended questions about the company (like what does the interviewer like most about the work)
6. Don't be worried about old wife tales of trick test and questions. If they do that, they are not worth the time or the effort. But, it seems that Euro companies like this.
7. Complement the interview or the company if you can for a job well done.
8. Finish up with asking for the job and the interviewers favorable influence in the decision.
9. Everyone blows interviews. All interviews are a learning experience.
10 Have fun.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 07:08 PM
sas87yj

dress casual
plenty of nose rings
purple hair
use terms like "way cool dude"
flirt with the secretary

just be yourself and they will respect you for that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 07:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

If the ask if you have a drinking problem tell them "No! I have no problem taking a drink at all!" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've never used it but my uncle who is an engineer for GE did. He got the job!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had to inerview several times over the years. The advice above is good but this is mine. I have read all those books on how to do interviews and had prepared all the right answers. I found I did better and got the job I wanted when I was just myself. Don't over-prepare. Be yourself and if you don't get the job, there will be another one out there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 12:39 AM

I'll add my 2 cents.

I have been interviewed and have conducted interviews. The interviewer maybe as bad at interviews as you are. Be kind and helpful.

people are looking for someone to be a "good fit" for the position. And you want to make sure that you get a position that fits you.

"good fit" that's the catch fraise.

they are not looking for the smartest engineer in the world, so don't try to prove it in the interview. But, be technically competent.

As for written exams, they shouldn't. it opens them up to litigation. ( never tell them this, just an FYI when you do interviews some day). A test is often used, but the interviewer will right down an evaluation of how you answer.

rant:
I have seen a problem lately with engineers that are good at the school thing. And aren’t really interested or good at practicing engineering.

PS i'm terible at interviews, I always choke.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 07:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

An important thing to remember is that you are going to be spending your summer with this company. Ask them questions, find out information that you would like to know. Ask them about the area. The life outside of work. So on. Be relaxed, be yourself. If they don't like you for you, then you probably wouldn't enjoy working there anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode