Possibilty of differential braking? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 10:46 PM
Kingsmedic

Possibilty of differential braking?

I used to be a Baja Bug Guy, before I converted to Jeeping, and we used to set up the Parking brake with a lever for each side. Racers used it to tighten turns, but I was wondering if anyone has used it to stop which ever rear wheel was spinning (or in the air) and transfer power to the other rear wheel. My experience is with VW's with a transaxle, but wouldnt it work with an open diff jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 02:47 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Possibilty of differential braking?

I used to use turning brakes all the time on my rail , I dont see why it wouldnt work on a Jeep . In fact I think Rockcrawlers use that system in competition already .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 05:08 AM

I use them, but I use individual line locks at each side of the rear axle.
I have right/Left switches on the shifter with LED indicator lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 06:51 AM

Having also been a sand rail guy, when I was at the Goodyear Extreme Rock Crawling Meet, I noticed several of the competitors using steering brakes. They would lock up one rear tire with the break, turn the front the way they wanted to go and gas it, pivoting on the locked tire. I am assuming that they are using them with ARB selectable lockers.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 07:23 AM

There are quite a few competitors running cutting brakes of one sort or another.
It is a very good tool to have in your bag of tricks when competing, and I find myself using them more and more all the time. Its also starting to become second nature to position the vehicle to get the most out of the brakes.
Mine is set up with a lock at each side of the rear axle, in conjunction with a twin stick T case.
Its simple enough to use, when I am in position to start (lets say) a driver side pivot, I press the brake pedal firmly and hit the left switch on my shifter (the left side LED lights up to confirm), I pull the rear drive lever quickly into neutral, and turn hard toward the turn,( it helps to engage the ARB in some situations, but not as much so, in others. Once I am lined up on the gates or obstacle, then I disengage the switch, reengage the rear drive, and proceed as normal.
It really works well.
I dont see a huge need for it, if you arent competing, since you can just back up, but it could also be usefull for climbing tight technical obstacles on the trail.
It can put quite a bit of strain on your front joints though, as you pull hard through full locked turns with no help from the rear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 08:07 AM
Kingsmedic

Thanks for everybody's input! Do you think this set up would help a jeep without lockers get a little further down the trail? Kind of like a poor mans limited slip? I still have the twin brake handle unit from one of my Baja bugs, and it would be easy to set up, but if the benefit is not there, I'll just wait for a locker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode