Dropping Oil Pan - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Dropping Oil Pan

Since I knocked a hole in the oil pan I need to drop it and either fix the hole or replace the pan. Can I drop the pan right out from underneath the Jeep or is it going to take some work to get it out? Also, is the oil pump in the pan or is up on the engine somewhere? Anything else I should look out for?

thanks,

Jud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dropping Oil Pan

Since we don't know what engine this is I won't be too specific. On a 258/232 you need to pull the sarter first (disconect neg battery terminal), and then you can just drop the pan. The oil pump is mounted to the bottom of the engine, and is not attached to the pan, but,, there is a 'shelf' inside the oil pan that the pickup slides under. Just don't force the pan and it will come out sliding either to the front or rear (don't remember). BTW I will have an extra pan here (258) about the 9th or so of April. E-mail me if you're interested, I'll let it go real cheap.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 09:43 AM

On the 258 you also need to support the motor and remove the passenger side motor mount. A couple of pan bolts are hidden above it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, it is the 258, guess I should have mentioned that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 10:55 AM

You will have to remove the starter, and hook up a hoist or something to support the engine, then rmove the passenger side motor mount. Then, the pan should drop right down. If you use the 4 piece gasket, make sure you use lots of goo on the corners so it doesn't leak.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 02:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

My manual said I would have to support my 4.0 and remove the motor mount. What a bunch of BS!! I just un-bolted the starter, and then the pan was off!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Jamgood 96, so you think I can do it without taking the motor mount off? The less wrenching the better!

thanks,

Jud
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 02:51 PM

Must be different on a YJ/4.0.
I've got a CJ-7 with a 4.2, and there is no possible way to get the pan off without removing the motor mount.
What it comes down too is there are a couple of bolts that are impossible to get too with the mount in place. If you could somehow get those bolts out, the pan itself would come off without a problem.

I've dropped the pan on my 258 twice to replace the rear main seal. Once to replace it initially, then again to replace the seal I screwed up. And I had to remove the motor mount both times.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No need to remove the motor mount. I've done it twice now (not that this makes me an expert) It is easier if you use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket on these couple of bolts (a 3/8 socket just won't fit)and a u-joint socket might help. It's real tight, but can be done.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks guys, I'll let you know what I had to do after saturday. I guess I'll try it w/o removing the mount first, then if I have to I guess I'll be expecting it. Thanks for the info....

Jud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode