Trimming 44s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trimming 44s

I have dana 44s out of a Wagoneer mounted in my YJ, I was wondering if it was possible to trim the bottom of the housing for more clearance. I have heard of people doing this but I cant remember for what axles, what all was involved, and if the general thought was that this was ok to do. I do not want to weaken these alxes but the extra clearance under the diff would be nice. Thanks for your input.

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 04:03 PM
IBGPIN

Re: Trimming 44s

I ground mine down some when I had em out. I think you would have to take off alot to weaken them. I just tried to get it as smooth as possible under there that way it will slide not snag. I have seen some pics of people going to a pile of work for VERY minimal gains.
Just buy bigger tires~!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 04:07 PM

I have never heard it mentioned on a D44, but I wouldn't let that stop me. Take the cover off and measure with a caliper where you want to trim. If there's enough metal, go for it. How much is enough? I wouldn't take it under 1/4", but that's opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 05:02 PM
Official Historian

So it won't hurt anything to remove the tab under the diff? I get hung up on that every once in a while.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 05:50 PM

the tab he refers to is about an inch or so some more i took it off a 44 once and actually went into the housing close to a half an inch of clearance or the equivalent of 35's to 38's if tire sizes were true which they arent plus it makes for a smoother slide!! just be sure and take a little off the punkin cover as it will now hang on the rocks petersens did this to a d60 i think for like 2" of clearance and didnt notice any weakness.
soggysod
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

I shaved a bit off mine, I followed the cover for my guide, and blended it into the ribs. I then ground forwards to blend in the hump on the bottom. I did catch the edge of the cover once and pulled it open a bit, a little trimming on the cover and that isn't a problem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 07:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the advice guys, next time I am under the Jeep it looks like I will be getting the grinder out and making myself a little more space under there. Every little bit of clearance helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode