Diesel swap - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Diesel swap

Ok,
I researched the isuzu 3.9ltr a little and personally don't feel comfortable with it as a swap (this is in regards to Jefe's post on CJ-8, and the discussion we were having abut diesels), the isuzu's reportedly have had problems and there isn't as much after market support for them as there is for the Cummings 4 cylinder.

if you go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbodieselregistry.com>www.turbodieselregistr y.com</a> and go to the forums and the converison section, there is some good information about swaps.

The 4 cylinder mentioned above is a Cummings 4bt 4 cylinder diesel engine that has the same size cylinders, pistons, etc as its big brother ( the 5.9l TD in the Dodge trucks) but smaller overall pakage, rated at 105hp and around 300ft lbs of torque,(not dure on the torque figure).

This is the conversion I plan on doing to my scrambler. I have always wanted a diesel, and as soon as I have the fundage (which you better have, cuz they are expensive)(somewhere between 2k and 2.5k for the engine and tranny), I will be performing the conversion..go to the web page I listed above for further info, theres alot of good info there.

kerryp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 02:42 PM

All the CJ-10's we have at work have those Nissan 6 cylinder diesels in them. There is plenty of room under the hood, and they put out alot of torque. According to what I read on the Scrambler board is sounds real easy to make the drivetrain mate up to the engine.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:34 AM
utahjeepr

OOOOF! I love that pic of the 6BT in the CJ! I have a Cummins swapped into my M-715 and the idea of one in my CJ really stuck with me for quite a while. I just couldn't get around the weight issue though. The 6bt weighs 1000#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 07:37 AM

The diesel engine that you will want for a Jeep, will greatly depend on what you plan on doing with the Jeep.
It really sucks when you go through all the work of putting a diesel in your Jeep (and it is a lot of work) and you take it out the first time and you have that feeling in your stomach that this is just not what you expected. I have been there twice now.
Back in 1990 when i first built my Jeep, I installed a brand new 4 cylinder Isuzu in my stock CJ7. This engine did not have a turbo on it and was very gutless on the road. It would only do about 55 with a tail wind. Off-road it was acceptable, and it did get 20 mpg consistently.(with 31" tires and 3.54 gears)
After I got sick of that engine i replaced it with a 6.2L diesel. Off-course the 6.2 was better, but it still did not impress me. It would go faster on the road, but it still took it awhile to get there. Off-road it also did very well, and also got close to 20 mpg. (31" tires and 3.07 gears)
After that engine busted a valve, I replaced it with a 4 cylinder Perkins diesel. This is a very tall engine, so that is when i had to go SOA, just to get it to fit. This engine had some issues and I only put about 2000 miles on it before i replace it. It sucked on the road (top speed was 65) and i never tried it off-road. It did get close to 24 mpg though.(31" tires and 4.11 gears)
Next came the current 6.5L turbo diesel. IMHO, this is the best engine to ever put in a SWB Jeep. It weighs about 150 lbs more than a SBC, will so 0-60 in about 10-11 seconds, will do 100+mph, and still gets between 18-24 mpg. It has had the stock axles in it, so it has not went off-road, but I cant see any drawbacks there either.

The problem with the diesels that have already been mentioned. The mercedes and VW-hard to mate a tranny to it. The Cummins and Perkins 4 cylinder is a very heavy engine(close to 800 lbs), a much slower engine (redline 2500-3000) and does not have the hp or torque of the 6.5L diesel.

So if you are planning on only using the Jeep as an off-road vehicle a 4 cylinder diesel would be sufficient. But if you want a Jeep that will be a DD and off roader you would want a higher speed diesel, I would not go with a 4 cylinder, unless it has a turbo on it.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 09:19 AM
Veteran

DIESELYJ,
are there any write ups on swapping in a diesel? i would really like to do it....someday!

shawn
post #16 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 03:55 AM

Not that i know of. I would like to do one, but that will probably not be until next year, when I totally rebuild my Jeep again.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 08:21 AM
Can't Get Enough

the cummings 4bt 4 cylinder is a turbo diesel, and my rig is not a daily driver, it will be used primarily on the trails with the occasional jaunt around town...

the cummings can HP can be improved with some mild or wild mods too, to get you the additional HP if you want.

Large exhaust and a good air intake syetm will give you additinoal HP right off the bat, and then if you want, you can add injectors, etc.

But frankly, for a trail rig, the semi stock form should be plenty for me, but thats just me...

there have been some additioinal replies on my post on the 3.9 ltr Isuzu turbos that are interesting on the TDR site, so I will continue researching the engines to make the best decision I can before I buy, that decisiion will be based on prices and availability as well...

kerryp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode